Register to reply

The force between current carrying conductors

by MohammedRady97
Tags: carrying, conductors, current, force
Share this thread:
MohammedRady97
Apr27-14, 12:32 PM
P: 99
For two long, current-carrying, straight conductors in free space, the force of attraction (or repulsion) per unit length between the wires is the same. That is, the force per unit length experienced by the first wire, is the same as the force per unit length experienced by the second wire. But the force experienced by the first wire as a whole may not necessarily equal the force experienced by the second wire as a whole. Doesn't this violate Newton's Third Law? Where am I getting this wrong exactly?
P.S. I'm an A level Physics and Mathematics student, so that's how far my knowledge in Physics and Mathematics goes.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
First in-situ images of void collapse in explosives
The first supercomputer simulations of 'spin?orbit' forces between neutrons and protons in an atomic nucleus
Magnets for fusion energy: A revolutionary manufacturing method developed
Drakkith
Apr27-14, 01:01 PM
Mentor
P: 11,508
Why would the two wires not experience the same total force?
mikeph
Apr27-14, 01:09 PM
P: 1,212
"long" in this sense means infinitely long.

MohammedRady97
Apr28-14, 05:43 AM
P: 99
The force between current carrying conductors

Suppose the wires are not infinitely long

Register to reply