Taking Pills with Food/Water: Why and How?

• Thread starter Mk
  • Start date
In summary, taking pills with food or water is important because some medicines can cause stomach upset if taken without food, while some foods can affect the absorption of certain medicines. It is important to follow the instructions on the prescription for best results. Additionally, fat-soluble compounds are better absorbed when taken with food. Some people may swallow lemon to reduce fat, but this is not recommended and can potentially be dangerous.
Mk
Why do I need to take some pills with food or water? Are they too strong for the stomach or something? How? All that hydrochloric acid in there doesn't eat through.

Biology news on Phys.org
Some medicines will make you feel ill unless taken with food, but will otherwise still work properly. On the other hand, some foods can actually prevent the absorption of some medicines. Some medicines cannot be taken with milk, for example.

- Warren

There are two reasons:
1) the medicine can cause a stomach upset if you take it without food.
2) food will make the medicine be absorbed better into the body.

Some medications are absorbed better without food, so you need to follow what the prescription says. One example would be that the medication reacts with something in food, an other example is that the medication has an enteric coating that does not dissolve until it gets into the intestine (the presence of food will make the uptake slower).

Are there some hormones released when the stomach is fuller that allow for better absorption?

It are the fat-soluble compounds that are better absorped when taken with food.

Monique said:
It are the fat-soluble compounds that are better absorped when taken with food.
u can swallore some lemon to reduce fat. I heard some people does it

Rotan72 said:
And why would you want to do that?

Rotan72 said:
Oh my god! What is your esophagus's diameter!? I can swallow a lot of things but not some lemons!

Mk I don't think he ment whole. Lol.

I'm with Monique. Why would you want to do that?

~Kitty

1. Why is it recommended to take pills with food?

It is recommended to take pills with food because certain medications can irritate the stomach lining and cause discomfort or even ulcers. Food can help to protect the stomach and decrease the chances of experiencing these side effects. Additionally, some medications need to be taken with food in order to be properly absorbed by the body.

2. Can I take pills with any type of food?

It is generally safe to take pills with most types of food, but it is important to avoid certain foods that may interact with medications. For example, grapefruit and its juice can interact with a variety of medications and should be avoided. It is always best to check with your doctor or pharmacist to see if there are any specific food restrictions for your medication.

3. How much food should I eat when taking pills?

The amount of food you should eat when taking pills depends on the specific medication. Some medications may require a full meal, while others may only need a small snack. It is important to follow the instructions on the medication label or as directed by your doctor. If you are unsure, it is best to err on the side of caution and eat a small meal or snack before taking your medication.

4. Can I take pills with water instead of food?

In most cases, it is recommended to take pills with food rather than just water. However, if the medication instructions specifically say to take it with water, then it is safe to do so. Water can help to swallow the pill and ensure it goes down smoothly. If you have difficulty swallowing pills, you can also try taking them with applesauce or yogurt.

5. Is it safe to take pills with other beverages?

It is generally recommended to take pills with water instead of other beverages, as some drinks may interact with medications and affect their absorption or effectiveness. However, some medications may be taken with certain beverages, such as milk or juice, as directed by the medication instructions or your doctor. It is always best to check with your healthcare provider if you have any concerns about taking pills with other beverages.