Best book to study for USAPhO?

In summary, the conversation is about using the textbook Halliday and Resnick for the Physics Olympiad. The person is unsure if they need to supplement the textbook or if they can use it alone to achieve semi-finalist status. They also mention the book "Fundamentals of Physics" and ask about the new test called "F = ma." There is a discussion about the different versions of Halliday and Resnick and the difficulty of problems in each.
OVB
I'm using Halliday and Resnick, which is what a member of last year's physics team used. However, should I use something else to supplement this, or can I get semi-finalist status using this book alone?

Physics news on Phys.org
did I put this in the wrong forum?

What's USAPhO? I'm guessing the Physics Olympiad. Which edition of Resnick and Halliday are you using? (Not that I know the answer to your question, but you might want to clarify in order to get more useful answers.) It's been a couple decades since freshman physics, but I do remember that the difficulty of problems differered quite a bit between the "Physics" and "Fundamentals of Physics" versions of R&H.

Yeah I have fundamentals of physics, the fifth edition. I hear the new test is called "F = ma." does this mean that it is all mechanics?

1. What is the recommended book to study for USAPhO?

The most commonly recommended book for studying for USAPhO is "University Physics" by Young and Freedman. It covers all the topics necessary for the competition and provides a good foundation for understanding the concepts.

2. Is there a specific edition of "University Physics" that is best for USAPhO?

The most recent edition of "University Physics" is usually the best choice. However, any edition from the past 5-10 years should suffice as the basic principles and concepts do not change significantly.

3. Are there any other books that are helpful for USAPhO preparation?

Yes, some other popular books include "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Serway and Jewett, "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday and Resnick, and "Concepts of Physics" by HC Verma. These books provide additional practice problems and explanations that can supplement your understanding.

4. How should I use the recommended book to study for USAPhO?

It is important to first understand the basics and fundamentals covered in the book. Then, practice solving problems and apply the concepts learned. It can also be helpful to work through past USAPhO exams and compare your solutions to the official solutions provided.

5. Are there any online resources that can help with USAPhO preparation?

Yes, there are many online resources such as practice problems, tutorials, and forums that can aid in USAPhO preparation. Some popular websites include Physics Forums, Khan Academy, and Physics Classroom.