Any Embeded System programmers out there?

• Thread starter mr_coffee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    System
In summary: Remember, practice makes perfect. Happy coding!In summary, in low level programming, recursion is not as commonly used as it is in high level languages due to its resource intensity. However, there are still certain situations where it can be useful. In terms of programming languages, it depends on the project and specific needs, but some commonly used languages in low level programming include MASM, C, Assembly, Python, and Java. It's important to choose the right language for the task at hand.
mr_coffee
Hello everyone.

I"m currently a Jr. in Computer Engineering and I'm in a Computer Organization and Design class in which we are learning ASM programming with MIPS 32. This ISA is mainly for basic RISC chips not x86.

We are doing a program in recursion and its really rough to deal with everything at once, the frame pointer, the stack pointer, the return addresses, i had problems with recursion in high level languages as well.

What i was wondering was, how often do you actually use recusion in low level programming? I know recusive solutions are fast but are huge resource hogs. Usually when you program in ASM your going for performance. Also what is your main programming lang you use? MASM/C? or other?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there!

As a scientist who has worked in the field of computer engineering for many years, I can tell you that recursion is not as commonly used in low level programming as it is in high level languages. This is because, as you mentioned, recursive solutions can be resource intensive and in low level programming, performance is often a top priority. However, there are certain situations where recursion can be useful in low level programming, such as in sorting algorithms or graph traversal.

In terms of programming languages, it really depends on the project and the specific needs. I have used MASM and C in the past, but I have also used other languages such as Assembly, Python, and Java. Each language has its own strengths and weaknesses, and it's important to choose the right one for the task at hand.

I hope this helps and good luck with your programming class!

I can tell you that embedded systems programming is a crucial aspect of computer engineering and design. It involves creating software that is specifically designed to run on small, specialized computer systems. This type of programming requires a deep understanding of hardware and low-level programming languages, such as assembly.

Regarding your question about the use of recursion in low level programming, it really depends on the specific application and the programmer's preference. Recursion can be a powerful tool for solving certain problems, but it can also be resource-intensive and may not always be the most efficient solution. As with any programming language or technique, it is important to weigh the pros and cons and choose the best approach for the specific task at hand.

In terms of programming languages, there is no one "main" language for embedded systems programming. It often depends on the specific hardware and requirements of the project. Some common languages used in this field include C, C++, and assembly. Each has its own strengths and weaknesses, so it is important to have a diverse skill set and be able to adapt to different languages and technologies.

I hope this helps answer your questions and provides some insight into the world of embedded systems programming. Best of luck in your studies and future projects!

1. What is an Embedded System?

An embedded system is a computer system that is designed to perform a specific task within a larger system. It is typically a combination of hardware and software that is integrated into a device or machine to control its functions.

2. What are the skills required to be an Embedded System programmer?

An Embedded System programmer should have a strong understanding of programming languages such as C and C++, as well as knowledge of hardware design and electronics. They should also possess problem-solving skills and the ability to work with complex systems.

3. What are the common industries that use Embedded Systems?

Embedded Systems are used in a variety of industries, including automotive, aerospace, consumer electronics, medical devices, and industrial control systems. They are also becoming increasingly prevalent in the Internet of Things (IoT) industry.

4. What are some common challenges faced by Embedded System programmers?

Some common challenges faced by Embedded System programmers include managing limited resources (such as memory and processing power), optimizing code for efficiency, and ensuring compatibility with different hardware components. They also need to consider real-time constraints and potential security vulnerabilities.

5. How can I become an Embedded System programmer?

To become an Embedded System programmer, you should start by learning programming languages such as C and C++, as well as gaining a basic understanding of electronics and hardware design. You can also pursue a degree in computer science or electrical engineering, and gain hands-on experience through internships or personal projects. Continual learning and keeping up with industry advancements is also crucial in this field.