Forces involved in spring-pulley system

In summary, the conversation discusses solving for the equation of motion for a spring-and-pulley system, with the goal of determining the extension of the spring from its unstretched length as a function of time. The system is assumed to be in a frictionless, imaginary physics world. The forces involved, including tension and gravity, are discussed and a formula of (2m)\ddot{x} = mg - kx is derived to help solve for the equation of motion.
Luminous Blob
I am trying to answer the following question:

Two equal masses are constrained by the spring-and-pulley system shown (the pulley has no mass and the surface is frictionless). Determine the equation of motion for the system in terms of x, the extension of the spring from its unstretched length. Solve for x as a function of time with the boundary conditions x = dx/dt = 0 at t = 0.

I have attached a word document with the diagram for the system. All that I've added to the diagram so far is T1, T2 and mg for the mass dangling over the edge.

Now, the last part of the question (solving for x with the boundary conditions) I can solve easily once I've actually figured out the equation of motion.

The problem I'm having is getting to the point where I have a second-order differential that I can solve. I'm not entirely sure how to choose my coordinate system (should I have an x and y coordinate system?) and I'm also not sure about the forces involved.

Are the tensions (T1 and T2) that I've drawn in correct, and what do they equal?

Is it just T1 = T2 = -kx + mg , or am I missing something?

I'd really appreciate it if someone can point me in the right direction here.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Luminous Blob
I have attached a word document with the diagram for the system.
Your attachment didn't make it; try again.

Okay, hopefully it'll work this time...

Attachments

• spring_pulley.doc
    24.5 KB · Views: 605
Question: Is the mass on the table subject to friction, or are we working in super-perfect imaginary physics world?

cookiemonster

We're working in a super-perfect imaginary physics world :)

No friction forces involved.

Well, that makes life a bit easier!

We don't really need to consider tension, do we? All it's doing is communicating force between the blocks and the spring.

We got two forces, right? The restoring force of the spring and the force of gravity acting on the hanging block. So,

F = mg - kx

(I took gravitational force to be positive by assuming that the positive x direction was to the right, and you can see that gravity will always be pulling to the right)

And then we got

[tex]F = m_\textrm{total}\ddot{x}[/tex]

Now we have to address something. What mass are these forces acting upon, i.e. what is [itex]m_\textrm{total}[/itex]? The forces are trying to move both blocks, right? So [itex]m_\textrm{total}[/itex] should equal 2m. That leaves us with

[tex](2m)\ddot{x} = mg - kx[/tex]

which you'll need to solve.

Does that help?

cookiemonster

Originally posted by cookiemonster

Does that help?

cookiemonster

It certainly does. Thanks a lot!

1. What is a spring-pulley system?

A spring-pulley system is a mechanical system that consists of a spring and a pulley. The spring is used to store and release energy, while the pulley is used to redirect and transmit forces.

2. How do forces work in a spring-pulley system?

In a spring-pulley system, the spring exerts a force that is directly proportional to its displacement from its equilibrium position. This force is known as the spring force. The pulley also exerts a force on the system, which is known as the tension force. These forces work together to maintain equilibrium in the system.

3. What is Hooke's law and how does it relate to a spring-pulley system?

Hooke's law states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position. This means that as the spring in a spring-pulley system is stretched or compressed, the force it exerts will increase or decrease accordingly.

4. How does the mass of an object affect the forces in a spring-pulley system?

The mass of an object affects the forces in a spring-pulley system in two ways. First, the weight of the object will contribute to the tension force in the system. Second, the mass of the object will also affect the displacement of the spring, which in turn will affect the spring force.

5. Can the forces in a spring-pulley system be calculated?

Yes, the forces in a spring-pulley system can be calculated using the principles of equilibrium and Hooke's law. By considering the forces acting on the system and using the equation F=kx, where F is the spring force, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement of the spring, the forces involved in the system can be determined.