Designing a Counter for 0-5-2-7-4-1-6-3-0 Using Gates and T-Flip Flops

In summary, the conversation discusses designing a counter using T-flip flops and gates to count from 0 to 5 to 2 to 7 to 4 to 1 to 6 to 3 to 0. The suggestion is to look in a book for a similar example and follow the steps without thinking too much about it. It is also recommended to draw a state table and find the flip flop input, treating it as an n-bit state machine and assigning the desired numbers to the states. The final step is to minimize or maintain consistency of gates.
vptran84
hi,

can someone give me hints on how to design a counter that counts
0->5->2->7->4->1->6->3->0 using T-flip flop and some gates? I've been looking at this problem but i don't know where to start...

thanks

vinh

Engineering news on Phys.org
look in rafi's book. There is an example that is very similar to this question. Just follow the steps and the answer will come out. No thinking neccessary.

Start by drawing a state table of the counter then find ff input.

Don't think of it as a counter, think of it as an n-bit state machine. Then, just assign the states to the numbers you want. The rest is just minimization or consistency (whatever your preference) of gates (assuming you're just going to use those 14 pin gate packages).

1. How can I design a counter for 0-5-2-7-4-1-6-3-0 using gates and T-flip flops?

To design a counter for this sequence, you will need to use a combination of logic gates, such as AND, OR, and NOT gates, and T-flip flops. The gates will help to control the flow of data and the T-flip flops will act as memory elements to store the count value.

2. What is the purpose of using gates in a counter?

Gates are used in a counter to control the flow of data and to perform logical operations on the input signals. The gates help to determine the next state of the counter based on the current state and the input signals. They are essential for the proper functioning of a counter.

3. How do T-flip flops work in a counter?

T-flip flops store a single bit of data and have two stable states, 0 and 1. They have a toggle input that changes the state of the flip flop when triggered. In a counter, the toggle input is connected to the output of the previous stage, ensuring that the flip flop changes its state every time the counter counts up.

4. Can I use other types of flip flops in a counter?

Yes, you can use other types of flip flops in a counter, such as D-flip flops or JK-flip flops. However, T-flip flops are commonly used in counters because they have a simpler logic and require fewer gates compared to other flip flop types.

5. How can I ensure the counter starts at 0 and counts up to 0-5-2-7-4-1-6-3-0?

To ensure that the counter starts at 0 and counts up to the given sequence, you will need to design the circuit in such a way that the initial state of the counter is 0 and it increments by 1 for each clock cycle. You may also need to add some additional logic to reset the counter back to 0 once it reaches 0-5-2-7-4-1-6-3-0 to ensure it loops back to the beginning of the sequence.