How Can I Begin Researching Electromagnetic Levitation?

In summary: Budget and timescale are unlimited. Some suggested starting points include the Wikipedia page on magnetic levitation and a DIY version of a Gauss gun.
shireojan
hi,
i want to start some "researches" about electromagnetic levitation,and well i came here to ask if anyone could help me...anything...books,links...
thnk u

Physics news on Phys.org
You might have to give us a few more clues, 11year old's school science project, final year engineering project, PhD, industrial company? Your level of knowldege, your budget, timescale?
But start here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_levitation

yea ur right sorry,well its more of a final year engineering project,except its my first year at uni and i study physic...bout the timescal...unlimited...budget...unlimited too

thnx

Our engineering dept always had a cool demo of a bar made of (I think) alternate rings of steel and copper hanging inside some coils, then made to shoot forward through a block of wood. You just need to vary the field strenght/direction in the coils in the right order. You can do something similair to float a metal plate on coils and move it backward and forward.

I think it's called a Gauss gun - I might have a go at building this unpowered version http://scitoys.com/scitoys/scitoys/magnets/gauss.html

Last edited:
shireojan said:
hi,
i want to start some "researches" about electromagnetic levitation,and well i came here to ask if anyone could help me...anything...books,links...
thnk u

See this thread

What is electromagnetic levitation?

Electromagnetic levitation is a method of suspending an object in the air using the force of magnetic fields. This is achieved by placing an electromagnet beneath the object and controlling the strength and direction of the magnetic field.

How does electromagnetic levitation work?

Electromagnetic levitation works by using the principle of magnetic repulsion. When an electromagnet is placed beneath an object, the object becomes magnetized and creates its own magnetic field. If the electromagnet is strong enough, it will repel the object and create a levitating effect.

What are the applications of electromagnetic levitation?

Electromagnetic levitation has a variety of applications, including in transportation systems such as maglev trains, in industrial processes for precision positioning of objects, and in scientific experiments to study the behavior of materials in microgravity environments.

What are the advantages of electromagnetic levitation?

One of the main advantages of electromagnetic levitation is that it allows for contactless suspension of objects, minimizing wear and tear. It also offers precise control over the levitated object's position and movement, making it useful for various applications.

Are there any limitations to electromagnetic levitation?

One limitation of electromagnetic levitation is that it requires a significant amount of energy to maintain the magnetic fields, which can be costly. It also has weight limitations, as the strength of the electromagnet is limited and may not be able to levitate heavy objects.