How much will the Iraq war ultimately cost the US tax payer and car owner?

• News
  • Thread starter pelastration
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around the cost of the Iraq war and its impact on the US government, taxpayers, and oil prices. The US has spent $150bn on the war and there are questions about whether this is enough. The rise in oil prices during the war and the decision of Opec to further cut production are also discussed. There is concern that the instability in the region may be influencing oil prices and could cause economic damage, particularly for developing countries. The conversation also touches on the importance of considering the loss of human lives in this situation, with one person expressing a willingness to sacrifice Iraqi lives for cheaper gas prices. However, this sentiment is deemed as sick by another individual.
pelastration
Next to the price of lives, the lost of credibility of US in the world ... there is more to come for the US tax payer and car owner.

The cost of the Iraq war: One year on

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/3603923.stm

By the end of this year, the US Government will have spent $150bn on invading and then rebuilding Iraq. That sounds like a lot - but the real question should be whether it is anywhere near enough.

The Bush administration was very clear about the need to invade Iraq - even though some of those reasons are now looking less convincing.

But it was far less straightforward about how much the military operation to unseat Saddam Hussein would cost.

(snip)

Oil price rise

Oil prices have risen steadily during the period of the war and are now higher than in many years.
Despite this, Opec has decided to cut oil production further, this time backed by Saudi Arabia, despite strong pressure from the US.
Could the instability in the region be influencing the other Middle East oil producers to try and keep prices high?
If so, this could cause the most economic damage of all, with developing countries the most vulnerable.
According to Professor Nordhaus, "there is the prospect that generalised anger with the US could spill over into use of the oil weapon in the near future".
---

Physics news on Phys.org
200 dead bodies in a few days and all you care about is the price of fuel you are going to put into your Porsche?

Chen, did I started with ' Next to the price of lives ...'?.
Did you read that article?
The lost of human live is treated in other posts.

Chen said:
200 dead bodies in a few days and all you care about is the price of fuel you are going to put into your Porsche?

I'm willing to pay as many Iraqi lives as it takes for me to get dollar a gallon gas :cool:

phatmonky said:
I'm willing to pay as many Iraqi lives as it takes for me to get dollar a gallon gas :cool:
I'm glad you're not in charge, that's truly sick.

1. What is the total cost of the Iraq war?

The total cost of the Iraq war is estimated to be around $2.4 trillion, including interest on borrowed funds and future veteran care.

2. How much money has been spent on the war per year?

The average yearly cost of the Iraq war has been around $100 billion since its start in 2003. However, this amount has varied from year to year.

3. How does the cost of the Iraq war compare to other wars?

The Iraq war is one of the most expensive wars in US history, second only to World War II. It has cost more than the Korean War, the Vietnam War, and the Gulf War combined.

4. Who pays for the cost of the Iraq war?

The cost of the Iraq war is primarily funded by the US government through taxes and borrowing. Some of the cost is also covered by donations and aid from other countries.

5. How has the cost of the Iraq war affected the US economy?

The Iraq war has had a significant impact on the US economy, contributing to the national debt and diverting funds away from other areas such as education and healthcare. It has also had a ripple effect on the global economy, particularly in terms of oil prices and international relations.