Reset Expired Password: What Does It Mean?

• Thread starter ank_gl
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is discussing an expired password that needs to be changed for security purposes. The speaker is unsure why the password is showing as 182 days old, but it is recommended to change passwords every 6 months. The speaker is also confused about how to change the password.
ank_gl
expired password?

i just logged in and it says that my password is 182 days old and i have to change it.
what does this mean??

Physics news on Phys.org
It means you should change it. Security purposes.

i don't remember having to change my password in a very long time

but why it said, 182 days??
i have my account for like 9 months

It's an erroneous message that pops up sometimes. Juast change your password and you'll be safe.

Evo said:
It's an erroneous message that pops up sometimes. Juast change your password and you'll be safe.

Not erroneous. Passwords should be changed every 6 months.

Greg Bernhardt said:
I meant that the number of days doesn't match the length of time since the password was activated. :smile:

Greg Bernhardt said:

? I've had the same one since I joined. You supplied it; shouldn't you be the one to change it? I have no idea how. :confused:

1. What does it mean when my password expires?

When your password expires, it means that the designated time period for your password to be used has ended. This is a security measure to ensure that your account remains safe and protected.

2. Why do passwords expire?

Passwords expire as a security measure to prevent unauthorized access to your account. It ensures that your account is regularly protected with a new and strong password.

3. How do I reset my expired password?

To reset your expired password, you can usually follow the "Forgot Password" link on the login page. You will then be prompted to enter your email or username and follow the instructions to reset your password.

4. Can I reuse my old password after it has expired?

It is not recommended to reuse your old password after it has expired. It is important to create a new and unique password to enhance the security of your account.

5. How often do passwords expire?

The frequency of password expiration can vary depending on the security policies of the organization or platform. Some may require passwords to be changed every 30, 60, or 90 days, while others may have longer expiration periods.