Deriving the Beta Function Integral Using Residue Theorem

In summary, The given conversation is about proving the identity G(n)+G(1-n)=pi/sin(n*pi) and finding the value of B(m,n) using the beta function. The conversation also discusses using the identity B(x,y)=Gamma(x)*Gamma(y)/Gamma(x+y) to solve for B(n,1-n) and calculating the integral using residues. The final step involves choosing a keyhole contour to calculate the integral.
mkbh_10
Will some one help me to prove this identity

G(n)+G(1-n)= pi/ sin npi 0<n<1

B(m,n) = (m-1)! / n(n+1)...(n+m+1) ,for beta function

Physics news on Phys.org
You mean
[tex]\Gamma(n)*\Gamma(1-n)=\frac{\pi}{\sin(n\,\pi)}[/tex]

First of all use the identity
[tex]B(x,y)=\frac{\Gamma(x)\,\Gamma(y)}{\Gamma(x+y)}[/tex]
with [itex]x=n,\,y=1-n[/itex] to arrive to [itex]B(n,1-n)=\Gamma(n)\,\Gamma(1-n)[/itex], i.e.

[tex]\Gamma(n)\,\Gamma(1-n)=\int_0^\infty\frac{u^{n-1}}{u+1}\,d\,u[/tex]

which can be calculated with the use of residues.

by residue it will give limit u tending to -1 [(-1)^n-1] Integral = 2pi i * Residue

which =2pi i *(-1)^n-1 ,how to proceed further

mkbh_10 said:
by residue it will give limit u tending to -1 [(-1)^n-1] Integral = 2pi i * Residue

which =2pi i *(-1)^n-1 ,how to proceed further

I cann't understand that you are saying. In order to calculate the integral choose a keyhole contour like this
Contour I.jpg

1. What is the Gamma Function identity?

The Gamma Function identity is a mathematical identity that relates the values of the Gamma Function at two different points. It is expressed as:
Γ(x+1) = xΓ(x)
This identity is useful in various areas of mathematics, including calculus, statistics, and number theory.

2. How is the Gamma Function identity derived?

The Gamma Function identity can be derived using the properties of the Gamma Function, particularly the fact that it is defined as an integral. By manipulating the integral expression, one can arrive at the Gamma Function identity.

3. What is the significance of the Gamma Function identity?

The Gamma Function identity is significant because it allows us to simplify calculations involving the Gamma Function. It also has many applications in areas such as probability and statistics, where the Gamma Function is commonly used.

4. Can the Gamma Function identity be extended to complex numbers?

Yes, the Gamma Function identity can be extended to complex numbers using the definition of the Gamma Function for complex arguments. The identity will hold for any complex number with a positive real part.

5. Is the Gamma Function identity the only identity that relates the values of the Gamma Function at different points?

No, there are other identities that relate the values of the Gamma Function at different points, such as the duplication formula and the reflection formula. However, the Gamma Function identity is one of the most commonly used and versatile identities.