A beam of red light has twice the intensity as a second bean of the same color

In summary, the ratio of the amplitude of the first beam to the amplitude of the second beam is 1:√2.
looi76

Homework Statement

A beam of red light has twice the intensity as a second bean of the same color. Calculate the ratio of the amplitude of wave.

Homework Equations

[tex]intensity \propto (amplitude)^2[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]1^{st} \mbox{ beam} = 2I[/tex]
[tex]2^{nd} \mbox{ beam} = I[/tex]

I don't know if this step is correct and I don't know what to do next?!

Physics news on Phys.org
looi76 said:

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]1^{st} \mbox{ beam} = 2I[/tex]
[tex]2^{nd} \mbox{ beam} = I[/tex]

[tex]I_1=2 I_2[/tex]

[tex]\frac{I_1}{I_2}=2[/tex]

What can you do to the above relation (given your relevant equation) to convert it to a ratio of amplitudes?

Regards,

Bill

So, it will be [tex]1:4[/tex] ?

No, start off by expressing both intensities I = kA^2. Then compare the ratio of each amplitude to the other.

looi76 said:

So, it will be [tex]1:4[/tex] ?

No. Try what Defennder suggested to see why.

Regards,

Bill

What is intensity of light?

The intensity of light refers to the amount of energy being carried by the light waves per unit time. It is often measured in units of watts per square meter (W/m²) or in terms of the number of photons per unit area per unit time.

How is intensity of light measured?

The intensity of light can be measured using a light meter, which is typically a device that measures the amount of light energy falling on a given area. This can also be calculated using the formula: Intensity = Power/Area.

What does it mean for a beam of red light to have twice the intensity as another beam of the same color?

This means that the first beam of light is carrying twice the amount of energy per unit time compared to the second beam. This could be due to factors such as a higher number of photons or a larger area being covered by the beam.

What factors can affect the intensity of light?

The intensity of light can be affected by various factors such as the source of the light, the distance from the source, the wavelength of the light, and any obstructions or filters that the light may pass through.

Why is it important to measure and understand the intensity of light?

The intensity of light is important in many scientific and practical applications. It can help in studying the behavior of light and its interactions with matter, as well as in determining the proper amount of light needed for various tasks such as photography, lighting, and medical procedures.