Tension in two ropes at angles

In summary, the conversation is about a homework problem involving a large helium balloon attached to the ground by two fixing ropes. The person is confused about finding the tension in either rope using the given information and equations. After discussing and solving for the y component of tension, they determine that the magnitude of the tension in the rope is 130.5 N. The conversation ends with the person understanding the solution and thanking the other person for their help.
Darunia9
This question really confuses me, I have got answers before but they don't fit with the answer in the book and it's due tomorrow

Homework Statement

A large helium balloon is attached to the ground by two fixing ropes. Each rope makes an angle of 50 degrees with the ground. There is a force F vertically upwards of 2.15x10^3 N. The total mass of the balloon and it's basket is 1.95x10^2 kg

Find the tension in either rope

Homework Equations

I'm not sure what equation to use, in my book there's only upthrust = weight + tension which doesn't work with angles, and the equilibirum equations are explained properly in my textbook

The Attempt at a Solution

upthrust = weight + tension

tension = upthrust - weight
=2.15x10^3 - 1911
=239
239/2 = 119.5

but the answer in the book says it should be 131 N
Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sum up the forces in each plane (x and y) and make them equal zero.

So you have, upthrust = weight + 2tensiony
and tensionx - tensionx = 0

Solve the simultaneous eqn

How would I work out the tension in x, as there is no stated force going along horizontally?

Well you've done it yourself!
Look, nothing is moving in the x direction, however both ropes have x components, that means that the x components must be equal and opposite, to cancel each other out.

erm I'm still really confused so the tensiony = 119.5, right?
I don't see how the x part comes into it, or how to achieve it
I know they cancel each other out but for all I know it could be +1 -1 :confused:

Uh, sorry I have this terrible habit of not reading the question properly haha, it didn't click to me that their angles are the same.

Well the y tension is 119.5, so you just need to calculate the magnitude of tension in the rope, however this won't give 131.. closer to 150 by my guess, perhaps try it incase my estimate is wrong

I can see the problem. They take gravity as 10ms-1
Finding the y component of tension again, then finding the total tension will yield 130.5N

ahh I did think the books answer may be wrong
so the magnitude of the tension in the rope would be sin 50 x 199.5 = 152.8?

No... Perhaps it would help you if you drew a diagram.

The hypotenuse is what you're trying to solve, and we have the opposite length.

so it will be [tex] \frac{200}{2sin(50)} = 130.5N [/tex]

ohh, right thank you
I forgot the way of re arranging the trig function

No worries! I hope it all makes sense.

1. How is tension affected by the angle between two ropes?

The tension in two ropes at angles is affected by the angle between the two ropes. As the angle increases, the tension in both ropes also increases. This is because the weight of the object is divided between the two ropes, and when the angle between them is smaller, each rope has to support more weight.

2. What is the formula for calculating tension in two ropes at angles?

The formula for calculating tension in two ropes at angles is: T = (W / sinθ) * (1 / cosθ), where T is the tension, W is the weight of the object, and θ is the angle between the two ropes. This formula takes into account the weight of the object and the angle between the two ropes to determine the tension in each rope.

3. Can the tension in one rope be greater than the tension in the other rope?

Yes, the tension in one rope can be greater than the tension in the other rope. This is possible when the angle between the two ropes is not 90 degrees. In this case, the rope with the smaller angle will have a greater tension, as it is supporting more of the weight of the object.

4. How does the weight of the object affect the tension in two ropes at angles?

The weight of the object directly affects the tension in two ropes at angles. The heavier the object, the greater the tension in each rope. This is because the weight of the object is divided between the two ropes, and the more weight there is to support, the greater the tension in each rope will be.

5. Are there any real-world applications for understanding tension in two ropes at angles?

Yes, understanding tension in two ropes at angles has many real-world applications. For example, it is important for engineers and architects to understand tension in order to design stable and safe structures. It is also relevant in activities such as rock climbing, where the angle of the rope can affect the tension and stability of the climber. Additionally, understanding tension in two ropes at angles is important in physics and mechanics, as it helps explain the forces acting on an object in equilibrium.