DC Circuit Diagram Help: Understanding Parallel and Series Resistors

In summary, the conversation discusses the arrangement of resistors in a circuit, specifically whether the red or green resistors are in parallel. The responder confirms that the green resistors are in series and suggests finding the equivalent resistance for the green resistors in order to determine the overall parallel resistance.
Elbobo

Homework Statement

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/8412/parallelcircuitsfn3.jpg [Broken]
http://g.imageshack.us/img99/parallelcircuitsfn3.jpg/1/ [Broken]

(see attempt at a solution for problem)

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

Are the two resistors in red parallel or would the ones in green be parallel? I know you can twist the wires around, but seems they can be pulled to the right or to the bottom. I'm guesing the green is in series, and the red is in parallel, right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the green resistors are in series. Try finding the eq resistance of the green resistors and then that equivalent resistance will be in parallel with the 2.4 ohm

Thank you.

1. How do I read a DC circuit diagram?

DC circuit diagrams are read from left to right, with the power source at the left and the components connected in a series or parallel arrangement. The lines in the diagram represent wires, and the symbols represent different components such as resistors, capacitors, and batteries.

2. What is the purpose of a DC circuit diagram?

The purpose of a DC circuit diagram is to visually represent the components and connections in a direct current (DC) electrical circuit. It helps to understand the flow of electricity and troubleshoot any issues that may arise.

3. How do I draw a DC circuit diagram?

To draw a DC circuit diagram, start by identifying the power source and drawing it on the left side of the page. Then, draw lines to represent the wires connecting the components. Use the appropriate symbols for each component and connect them in the correct configuration. Label the components and wires for clarity.

4. What are the essential components of a DC circuit diagram?

The essential components of a DC circuit diagram include a power source, wires to connect the components, and various components such as resistors, capacitors, and batteries. These components work together to allow the flow of electricity in a closed loop.

5. How do I troubleshoot a DC circuit using a circuit diagram?

To troubleshoot a DC circuit using a circuit diagram, start by checking the power source and making sure it is functioning properly. Then, follow the flow of electricity through the diagram and check each component for any issues. You can use a multimeter to measure the voltage and current at different points in the circuit to identify any problems.