Partial derivatives of implicitly defined functions

In summary, the equation for homework statement is x^2 + 2(y^2)(s^2)t + 5st^2 = 1, where x, y, and s are functions of each other and t is a function of x and y. To solve this equation, one must differentiate it with respect to y.
compliant

Homework Statement

If the equations

[tex]x^2 - 2(y^2)(s^2)t - 2st^2 = 1[/tex]
[tex]x^2 + 2(y^2)(s^2)t + 5st^2 = 1[/tex]

define s and t as functions of x and y, find [tex]\partial^2 t / \partial y^2[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Equating the two, we get 4y^2*s^2*t = -7s*t^2. My main problem is, as simple as this sounds, how do I implicitly differentiate a single term with three variables? (i.e. 4y^2*s^2*t) Because if I can implicitly differentiate it in terms of y, I can probably find [tex]\partial t / \partial y[/tex] in terms of the other partial derivatives.

Physics news on Phys.org
Partial differentiation is not implicit differentiation if that's what you mean. You simply treat all other variables as constant. In this case you get 8y*s^2 etc...

But how would I get the partial derivative of t wrt y from there? I mean, aren't we assuming t is a function of x and y (and with s as well?) ?So let me try this out:

8y*s^2*t + 4y^2([tex]2 \partial s / \partial y[/tex])t + 4y^2*s^2*([tex] \partial t / \partial y[/tex]) = -7([tex] \partial s / \partial y[/tex])*t^2 - 7s([tex]2 \partial t / \partial y[/tex])

compliant said:
But how would I get the partial derivative of t wrt y from there? I mean, aren't we assuming t is a function of x and y (and with s as well?) ?

Don't combine your two original equations; instead differentiate each one with respect to [itex]y[/itex]--- you will end up with two equations, each involving [itex]\frac{\partial s}{\partial y}[/itex] and [itex]\frac{\partial t}{\partial y}[/itex], which you can then solve for [itex]\frac{\partial t}{\partial y}[/itex].

gabbagabbahey said:
Don't combine your two original equations; instead differentiate each one with respect to [itex]y[/itex]--- you will end up with two equations, each involving [itex]\frac{\partial s}{\partial y}[/itex] and [itex]\frac{\partial t}{\partial y}[/itex], which you can then solve for [itex]\frac{\partial t}{\partial y}[/itex].

Sounds like a plan. So let me try this again...[-4y[itex]s^2[/itex]t - 2[itex]y^2[/itex]([itex]2s\frac{\partial s}{\partial y})t[/itex] - 2[itex]y^2 s^2[/itex]([itex]\frac{\partial t}{\partial y}[/itex])] + [-2([itex]\frac{\partial s}{\partial y})t^2[/itex] - 2s([itex]2 \frac{\partial t}{\partial y})[/itex]] = 1

[4y[itex]s^2[/itex]t + 2[itex]y^2[/itex]([itex]2s\frac{\partial s}{\partial y})t[/itex] + 2[itex]y^2 s^2[/itex]([itex]\frac{\partial t}{\partial y}[/itex])] + [5([itex]\frac{\partial s}{\partial y})t^2[/itex] + 5s([itex]2 \frac{\partial t}{\partial y})[/itex]] = 1[3([itex]\frac{\partial s}{\partial y})t^2[/itex] + 3s([itex]2 \frac{\partial t}{\partial y})[/itex]] = 2

Is there a way to eliminate the [itex]\frac{\partial s}{\partial y}[/itex] term?

compliant said:
Sounds like a plan. So let me try this again...

[-4y[itex]s^2[/itex]t - 2[itex]y^2[/itex]([itex]2s\frac{\partial s}{\partial y})t[/itex] - 2[itex]y^2 s^2[/itex]([itex]\frac{\partial t}{\partial y}[/itex])] + [-2([itex]\frac{\partial s}{\partial y})t^2[/itex] - 2s([itex]2 \frac{\partial t}{\partial y})[/itex]] = 1

[4y[itex]s^2[/itex]t + 2[itex]y^2[/itex]([itex]2s\frac{\partial s}{\partial y})t[/itex] + 2[itex]y^2 s^2[/itex]([itex]\frac{\partial t}{\partial y}[/itex])] + [5([itex]\frac{\partial s}{\partial y})t^2[/itex] + 5s([itex]2 \frac{\partial t}{\partial y})[/itex]] = 1

Careful, when you differentiate an equation, you need to differentiate both sides of it.

[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial y} (1)\neq 1[/tex]

Is there a way to eliminate the [itex]\frac{\partial s}{\partial y}[/itex] term?

Sure...you have 2 equations and 2 unkowns; think back to your high school algebra :wink:

gabbagabbahey said:
Careful, when you differentiate an equation, you need to differentiate both sides of it.

[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial y} (1)\neq 1[/tex]

Sure...you have 2 equations and 2 unkowns; think back to your high school algebra :wink:

Ok, so now I have

[tex]3t^2 \frac {\partial s}{\partial y} = -6s \frac{\partial t}{\partial y}[/tex]
[tex]\frac {\partial s}{\partial y} = \frac{-2s}{t^2} \frac{\partial t}{\partial y}[/tex]

I sub this back into the first equations to get [itex]\frac{\partial t}{\partial y}[/itex]. However, I get a different value for [itex]\frac{\partial t}{\partial y}[/itex] when I plug it into the second equation. If I'm going to write the answer, would I write them both down? Because I feel there really should only be one answer...

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the definition of a partial derivative?

A partial derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of one variable with respect to another, while holding all other variables constant. It is denoted by ∂ and is commonly used in multivariable calculus to solve problems involving functions with multiple variables.

2. How are partial derivatives of implicitly defined functions different from those of explicitly defined functions?

In an implicitly defined function, the variables are not explicitly expressed in terms of each other, whereas in an explicitly defined function, one variable is explicitly expressed in terms of another. This means that in implicitly defined functions, the partial derivatives must be calculated using implicit differentiation, which involves treating one of the variables as a constant and differentiating with respect to the other variable.

3. What is the process for finding a partial derivative of an implicitly defined function?

The process for finding a partial derivative of an implicitly defined function involves taking the derivative of both sides of the equation with respect to the specified variable. This will result in an equation with the partial derivative on one side and the remaining variables on the other side. The partial derivative can then be isolated by solving for it algebraically.

4. Can implicit differentiation be used to find higher order partial derivatives?

Yes, implicit differentiation can be used to find higher order partial derivatives. The process is similar to finding first-order partial derivatives, but it may involve taking multiple derivatives and using the chain rule if the function is more complex.

5. How are partial derivatives of implicitly defined functions used in real-world applications?

Partial derivatives of implicitly defined functions are used in many fields of science and engineering, such as physics, economics, and engineering. They are especially useful in optimization problems, where the goal is to find the maximum or minimum value of a function with multiple variables. They are also used in the study of rates of change and slopes of curves in three-dimensional space.