Gravity assist flyby anomales.

• Thread starter xyz1971
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gravity
In summary: Hi,I rather a strange question in that I'm not a physicist and don't really understand the theories I'm about to mention fully, ok disclaimer over. My understanding of gravity, is that a mass warps the spacetime in which it sits. Now my question is that ESA's Gravity field and steady-state Ocean Circulation Explorer (GOCE) shows gravity isn't equal all over the earth. Surely then that means spacetime isn't distorted uniformly around the earth? Surely this would have an effect on an object depending on the position of the Earth at the time flyby?Ok maybe not quite such daft a question, but I'm sure there will be a physicist somewhere shaking their
xyz1971
Hi,

I rather a strange question in that I'm not a physicist and don't really understand the theories I'm about to mention fully, ok disclaimer over.

My understanding of gravity, is that a mass warps the spacetime in which it sits. Now my question is that ESA's Gravity field and steady-state Ocean Circulation Explorer (GOCE) shows gravity isn't equal all over the earth. Surely then that means spacetime isn't distorted uniformly around the earth? Surely this would have an effect on an object depending on the position of the Earth at the time flyby?

Ok maybe not quite such daft a question, but I'm sure there will be a physicist somewhere shaking their head ... :)

Mark

I think in fact I mean the GRACE project not GOCE.

Last edited:
Space news on Phys.org
Welcome o PF!

These irregularities surely have an effect. The point is: these effects are known accurately enough (or so physicists believe), and have been accounted for. The anomaly is what's left after accounting for known effects.

xyz1971 said:
Hi,

I rather a strange question in that I'm not a physicist and don't really understand the theories I'm about to mention fully, ok disclaimer over.

My understanding of gravity, is that a mass warps the spacetime in which it sits. Now my question is that ESA's Gravity field and steady-state Ocean Circulation Explorer (GOCE) shows gravity isn't equal all over the earth. Surely then that means spacetime isn't distorted uniformly around the earth? Surely this would have an effect on an object depending on the position of the Earth at the time flyby?

Ok maybe not quite such daft a question, but I'm sure there will be a physicist somewhere shaking their head ... :)

Mark

I think in fact I mean the GRACE project not GOCE.
Correct. Basically, it's because the Earth isn't a perfect sphere (it has mountains, valleys, etc., and has a bulge around the equator), and it isn't of uniform density (some rocks are more dense than others).

And it's precisely because these differences in the gravitational field affect these spacecraft s that we are able to measure the differences using the spacecraft in the first place.

1. What is a gravity assist flyby anomaly?

A gravity assist flyby anomaly is an unexplained phenomenon where a spacecraft experiences a discrepancy in its expected trajectory and velocity after using a gravity assist maneuver to slingshot around a planet or other celestial body. This anomaly is not fully understood and has been observed in various space missions.

2. How does a gravity assist flyby work?

A gravity assist flyby, also known as a swing-by or a slingshot maneuver, uses the gravitational pull of a planet or other celestial body to increase or decrease the speed and change the direction of a spacecraft. This allows a spacecraft to conserve fuel and reach higher velocities than it could with its own propulsion system.

3. What causes a gravity assist flyby anomaly?

The exact cause of a gravity assist flyby anomaly is still unknown, but it is believed to be related to the complex interactions between the spacecraft, the planet's gravitational field, and the planet's atmosphere. Some theories suggest that these anomalies may be caused by unexpected changes in the density or composition of the planet's atmosphere, or the presence of unknown gravitational forces.

4. How common are gravity assist flyby anomalies?

Gravity assist flyby anomalies are relatively rare, but they have been observed in several space missions, including the Galileo mission to Jupiter and the Cassini mission to Saturn. They are more likely to occur in missions that use multiple flybys or involve close encounters with planets or moons with strong gravitational fields.

5. How do scientists study and address gravity assist flyby anomalies?

Scientists use mathematical models and computer simulations to study gravity assist flyby anomalies and try to understand their underlying causes. They also analyze data from past missions to identify patterns and potential solutions. To address these anomalies, spacecraft designers may incorporate more precise navigation systems or adjust the trajectory of the spacecraft to minimize the effects of anomalous flybys.