Salt Bridge Questions: Will Zinc Affect Cell Potential?

In summary: The higher the ionic conductivity, the higher the cell potential. However, a zinc nitrate salt bridge isn't as strong of a reducing agent as potassium nitrate, so it would yield a lower cell potential.
AnathemaXI
I've just about had it with these salt bridges. It's such an easy concept but there are too many questions about it.

I understand that the salt bridge enables the flow of ions for the cathodes and anodes by neutralizing charges, but if you use a different salt bridge (Say zinc nitrate instead of potassium nitrate) would it effect the actual cell potential at all? Although zinc has a lower reducing strength and higher oxidizing strength than potassium, it's still going to neutralize the charges in the solution.

Can anyone explain to me if it would or wouldn't effect the cell potential?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
The answer is, it depends. If you are talking about open circuit voltage, then no, theoretically the salt bridge material will not affect the cell potential. However, if the cell is not at equilibrium, that is there is some kind of net transfer of charge, then yes it will. This change in potential is due to the ionic conductivity of the bridge which generates losses in the cell that manifest as a lower cell potential. A bridge with a higher ionic conductivity will yield a higher cell potential when current is being drawn and vice-versa.

In the example I'm thinking about it refers to an electrochemical cell, a closed one at that. The molarities of the of the solutions are not at standard conditions so it is not at equilibrium. I'll give you the whole picture b/c maybe that would help more.

I was given the problem that a student is making a Fe|Fe2+ || Ni2+|Ni cell. He had .25M Nickel nitrate solution and .75 Iron II chloride solution. I discovered the cell potential under those conditions would be .18 V using the Nernst equation.

Now the question I'm trying to solve after that is if replacing the original potassium nitrate solution with a zinc nitrate solution would effect the cell potential. I see that zinc is still capable of reducing Fe and Ni albeit not as much as K. It is also a strong electrolyte so it would dissociate completely and neutralize the cathode and anode.

I'm not sure exactly how to judge the ionic conductivity of the salt bridge in relation to what you said. Zinc 2+ isn't as strong of a reducing agent as potassium, so does that mean it yields a lower ionic conductivity as a salt bridge which would lead to a decrease in cell potential?

Last edited:
You mean zinc nitrate replaces potassium nitrate in salt bridge?

As Topher wrote, as long as there is no current flowing through the circuit and ions in the salt bridge don't mix with the electrode solutions, potential of the cell shouldn't change.

--
methods

I can provide an explanation to your question about whether using a different salt bridge, such as zinc nitrate, would affect the cell potential.

The purpose of a salt bridge is to maintain electrical neutrality in the two half-cells of a galvanic cell. It does this by allowing ions to flow from one half-cell to the other, balancing out the charges that build up as the cell produces electricity.

In theory, using a different salt bridge, such as zinc nitrate, should not affect the cell potential as long as it is able to perform its function of maintaining electrical neutrality. However, there are a few factors that could potentially impact the cell potential.

Firstly, the concentration of the ions in the salt bridge could affect the overall concentration of ions in the half-cells, which could alter the cell potential. Additionally, the specific ions used in the salt bridge could also have an impact on the cell potential. For example, if the ions in the salt bridge have a higher or lower standard reduction potential than the ions in the half-cells, it could affect the overall cell potential.

Furthermore, the physical properties of the salt bridge, such as its size and shape, could also influence the cell potential. If the salt bridge is too narrow, it could impede the flow of ions and impact the cell potential.

In conclusion, while using a different salt bridge, like zinc nitrate, may not significantly affect the cell potential, it is important to consider the concentration and specific ions used, as well as the physical properties of the salt bridge, in order to accurately determine the impact on the cell potential.

1. How does a salt bridge affect cell potential?

A salt bridge is a pathway for ions to flow between two half-cells in an electrochemical cell. This maintains electrical neutrality and allows the cell to operate efficiently. Without a salt bridge, the cell potential would decrease over time as the charge builds up in the half-cells.

2. Can zinc affect the cell potential in a salt bridge?

Yes, zinc can affect the cell potential in a salt bridge. Zinc is a common metal used in electrochemical cells, and it is often used as the anode in a salt bridge. As zinc ions are oxidized at the anode, they create a flow of electrons to the cathode, generating an electrical potential difference between the two electrodes.

3. What is the purpose of a salt bridge in an electrochemical cell?

The purpose of a salt bridge is to maintain electrical neutrality in an electrochemical cell. As the cell operates, charged particles (ions) accumulate in the half-cells, disrupting the electrical balance. The salt bridge allows these ions to flow between the two half-cells, keeping the cell potential stable.

4. How does the concentration of the salt bridge solution affect cell potential?

The concentration of the salt bridge solution can affect cell potential in two ways. First, a higher concentration of ions in the solution can increase the conductivity of the salt bridge, allowing for a more efficient flow of charge. Second, if the concentration of ions is too high, it can disrupt the chemical reactions occurring in the half-cells, potentially lowering the cell potential.

5. Can a salt bridge be replaced with another type of bridge?

Yes, a salt bridge can be replaced with other types of bridges, such as porous cups or ion-permeable membranes. However, these alternatives may not be as effective as a salt bridge in maintaining electrical neutrality and can also introduce additional chemical reactions that may affect the cell potential. Therefore, a salt bridge is still the most commonly used bridge in electrochemical cells.