Angular Resolution Question

In summary, the distance between two stars orbiting each other, observed by a radio telescope with a diameter of 20.0km and using radio waves of wavelength 20.0 cm, can be calculated using the equation theta(min) = 1.22* wavelength/Diameter of circular aperture. Converting the resulting angle to degrees and using the small angle approximation, the distance between the stars is estimated to be 6.99x10^13m. However, converting the angle to radians and using the same equation gives a more accurate answer of 1.22x10^12m.
danmend

Homework Statement

A radio telescope observes two stars orbiting each other, using radio waves of wavelength 20.0 cm. The stars are 10^7m away from the Earth. The telescope, which has a diameter of 20.0km, can just resolve the two stars. What is the distance between the two stars?

Homework Equations

theta(min) = 1.22* wavelength/Diameter of circular aperture

The Attempt at a Solution

I got 1.22(0.2)/20000 = theta (min). Then I changed it into degrees because I'm more comfortable using them. I got 0.000699 degrees. Then I divided that by half to get the angle to one of the stars. Using the small angle approximation I got 0.000699*10^17m = 3.49x10^13. Then I doubled it to get the distance between the stars 6.99x10^13m. The answer is apparently 1.22x10^12m. Help please :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi danmend ! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
danmend said:
… Then I changed it into degrees because I'm more comfortable using them.

6.99x10^13m. The answer is apparently 1.22x10^12m. Help please :)

6.99x1013 divided by 1.22x1012 = 57.29 = 180/π …

now do you see why it's so much easier to use radians? :smile:

1. What is Angular Resolution?

Angular resolution is a measure of the smallest angle that can be resolved by a given optical instrument or sensor. It is often used to describe the ability of a telescope or camera to distinguish between two closely spaced objects or details in an image.

2. How is Angular Resolution calculated?

The formula for calculating angular resolution is θ = 1.22 * λ / D, where θ is the angular resolution, λ is the wavelength of light, and D is the diameter of the aperture. This formula is known as the Rayleigh criterion and is based on the diffraction of light waves.

3. What factors affect Angular Resolution?

The two main factors that affect angular resolution are the wavelength of light and the size of the aperture. Shorter wavelengths and larger apertures result in higher angular resolution. Other factors that can impact angular resolution include atmospheric conditions, optical distortions, and the quality of the optical components.

4. How does Angular Resolution differ from Spatial Resolution?

Angular resolution and spatial resolution are often used interchangeably, but they have slightly different meanings. Angular resolution refers to the ability to resolve small details in an image based on the angle between them, while spatial resolution is a measure of the smallest distance that can be resolved by an instrument.

5. Why is Angular Resolution important in scientific research?

Angular resolution is important in scientific research because it allows us to study and analyze fine details and structures in the universe. This is crucial for understanding complex systems and phenomena, such as galaxies, stars, and planets. High angular resolution also enables us to make more accurate measurements and observations, leading to a better understanding of the world around us.