Land mass on earth:Northern Hemisphere vs. Southern Hemisphere

In summary: Continental Drift. In summary, the Northern Hemisphere has more land mass because it has more continents. It is unknown why this is so, but it may have something to do with the theory of continental drift.
Kerrie
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
Does anyone know which hemisphere has more land mass? My guess is the Northern Hemisphere, and if that is fact, why is it so?

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
You don't have to guess. You can look at a map or a globe of the Earth and see quite clearly that there is more land mass in the northern hemisphere. Why is it that way? I don't know but variation of elevation (plate tectonics) along with the availability of liquid water. Obviously, if there were no oceans then the two hemispheres would have the same "land mass!"

Northern Hemisphere has more land mass,i think.It is because most of contentient are in northern hemisphere.

I'm not so sure...
Are you guys including Antarctica in your conclusions? Makes the two Hemispheres look "almost" even to me. But I geusse the north still appears to have a little more. As for the "why", that's just a matter of timing, according to the theory of continental drift. As the continents slide around the Earth's surface, we just happen to be looking at them at a time when most are above the equator.

If Africa drifts any farther south, so the equator cuts through it just above the middle, rather than just below, then the southern hemisphere will have the greater landmass by far.

I recommend a quick trip to your local library which likely has a globe. Use it to estimate the area of all the land masses on the Earth - including Antarctica!

Over two thirds of the continents are on the Nortern hemisphere, Continents cover 29% of the globe whilst (love that word :smile:) 35% make up for the continental shells versus the deep oceans.

Why this is so, is "not understood" it certainly has been different in the past, with the "plate teconics" moving the continents around the globe. Also a curiosity is that most of the continents are antipode to an ocean. Antarctica and the Arctic ocean, North America and the Indian ocean. Asia and the south pacific etc. Probably some kind of equilibrium. There can also be a tendency for spinning masses to find the smallest 'Inertia tensor", having the poles move to a position that the annular momentum of the Earth is minimum. This is the basis of the http://www.gps.caltech.edu/~devans/iitpw/science.html

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How much of the Earth's land mass is in the Northern Hemisphere?

The Northern Hemisphere contains approximately 39% of the Earth's land mass.

2. How does the land mass in the Northern Hemisphere compare to the Southern Hemisphere?

The Northern Hemisphere has significantly more land mass than the Southern Hemisphere, with more than double the amount of land.

3. Why is there a difference in land mass between the Northern and Southern Hemispheres?

This difference is due to the fact that the Earth's land mass is not evenly distributed. The Northern Hemisphere contains the majority of the continents, while the Southern Hemisphere is mainly covered by oceans.

4. Does the distribution of land mass affect climate in the Northern and Southern Hemispheres?

Yes, the distribution of land mass plays a significant role in the Earth's climate. The Northern Hemisphere, with its larger land mass, experiences more extreme seasonal changes and has a greater variety of climates compared to the Southern Hemisphere.

5. How has the land mass in the Northern Hemisphere changed over time?

The distribution of land mass on Earth has changed over time due to plate tectonics and other geological processes. However, the relative amount of land in the Northern and Southern Hemispheres has remained largely consistent.