Past Papers Calculus: Help Prep for College Exams

In summary, the conversation is about a person asking for past exams in various subjects like vectors, stats and probability, complex numbers, calculus, etc. They believe that practicing with past papers is more helpful than studying from books. They also ask for teachers' insights on how they come up with exam questions. The person also suggests creating a section for past papers and difficult problems on the website. Another person advises not to stress too much about practicing past papers and to focus on understanding the material.
Karate Chop
Just wondering if there's any guys in here that have past exams that they took in college or uni for vectors, stats and probability, complex numbers, calculus, etc. If you do it would be really great if you could scan them or something and send them to me so that i can prepare myself for the worst case scenario. I find that past papers really help you a lot and don't compare with books, since most of the tests I've had, all of the hard questions that they put in there i had never seen before. It just seems like teachers keep coming up with new problems. Also if you just have one or two questions which have troubled you or think might trouble others on college level maths, physics or chemistry it would also be very much appreciated if you could either post them here or send them to my email address. If there's any teachers in here, could you please tell me how you guys come up with your questions, like do you get them out of books or something? if so, which ones? I think that any information or past tests you can provide will really help me and many other people who visit this site. If the admin or moderators or whoever's incharge of the site is reading this also, i think it would be a good idea to create a new section with just the past papers and difficult problems that people have put in, and put them in there respected catergory i.e. differential equation tests, complex number tests, etc. and perhaps even divide that up into difficulty levels e.g. easy, medium, hard. Any help and past tests people can provide would be very much appreciated. thanks in advance. john

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't entered first year, but you should know the material.

By doing every possible question allowed, you are hurting yourself. The questions they ask you are always related to the material, whether or not they emphasized it.

I think it's fine that you do lots of questions, but I wouldn't panick about it, or call it a worst-case scenario. It's only a worse-case scenario if you don't know the material while going into the exam.

Again, this is my opinion, others may think otherwise.

Hello John,

I completely understand your desire to prepare for college exams and the importance of past papers in your preparation. It is great that you are reaching out to others for help and looking for resources to study from. However, I would caution against relying solely on past papers for your preparation.

While past papers can give you an idea of the types of questions that may be asked in an exam, they may not necessarily cover all the material that will be tested. It is important to also study from textbooks and lecture notes to ensure that you have a thorough understanding of the concepts and theories. Additionally, relying too heavily on past papers can lead to memorizing answers instead of truly understanding the material.

As for teachers coming up with questions, they often use a combination of resources such as textbooks, online sources, and their own experience and creativity. It is important to study from a variety of sources to get a well-rounded understanding of the material.

I would also caution against sharing or requesting full past exams as it may be a violation of academic integrity. Instead, focus on specific concepts and practice problems related to those concepts. This will help you prepare more effectively for your exams.

I hope this helps and I wish you all the best in your exam preparation. Good luck!

1. What are past papers for calculus?

Past papers for calculus are previous exams or practice tests that cover the material typically taught in a college-level calculus course. They are a useful tool for students to prepare for upcoming exams and to gain a better understanding of the concepts and problem-solving strategies needed for success.

2. How can past papers help with preparing for college exams?

Past papers can help with preparing for college exams in several ways. They provide a way for students to assess their understanding of the material and identify areas where they need to improve. They also allow students to become familiar with the format and types of questions that may be asked on the exam, as well as practice their time management skills.

3. Are past papers a reliable way to study for calculus exams?

Yes, past papers can be a reliable way to study for calculus exams. They are created by professors and experts in the field, and often closely resemble the exams that students will take. However, it is important for students to also review their notes and textbook to ensure they have a comprehensive understanding of the material.

4. How should I use past papers to study for calculus exams?

It is recommended to use past papers as a supplement to your regular study habits. Begin by reviewing your notes and textbook to ensure you have a solid understanding of the material. Then, use past papers to practice solving problems and to identify any areas where you may need additional review. It can also be helpful to time yourself while completing the past papers to simulate exam conditions.

5. Where can I find past papers for calculus?

Past papers for calculus can be found on various websites, including college and university websites, study resource websites, and online tutoring websites. Your professor or TA may also provide past papers for you to use as study materials. Additionally, many textbooks also include practice problems and exams that can serve as past papers.