An electron is shot between plates

In summary: The Attempt at a SolutionI had to solve a similar problem like this, where the electron had actually hit one of the metal plates. However, I think that this time it is different and I don't necessarily know where to go from here. I tried to do what I had done for the other part, but the answers yielded incorrect results. Any help at all is greatly encouraged.
Gizmo44

Homework Statement

In the figure, a uniform, upward-pointing electric field E of magnitude 2.00×103 N/C has been set up between two horizontal plates by charging the lower plate positively and the upper plate negatively. The plates have length L = 4 cm and separation d = 2.00 cm. Electrons are shot between the plates from the left edge of the lower plate.
The first electron has the initial velocity v0, which makes an angle θ=45° with the lower plate and has a magnitude of 5.86×106 m/s. Will this electron strike one of the plates? If so, what is the horizontal distance from the left edge? If not enter the vertical position at which the particle leaves the space between the plates.

Homework Equations

I believe that the proper equations that one could use would be the following:

v[initial, y]^2 + (2*a*deltaY) = 0
acceleration = [eE]/[m]
v[initial,y] + (a*t) = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I had to solve a similar problem like this, where the electron had actually hit one of the metal plates. However, I think that this time it is different and I don't necessarily know where to go from here. I tried to do what I had done for the other part, but the answers yielded incorrect results.

Any help at all is greatly encouraged.

-M

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Gizmo!

Well, you need the trajectory of the electron, probably in the form of a nice y = function of time, and x = function of time formula.
First step: separate the initial velocity into horizontal and vertical parts. I would then use d = vt for the horizontal part and
d = Vi*t + .5*a*t² for the vertical part. You would then be in a position to predict the maximum height and see whether it is greater than the 2 cm you have room for.

Last edited:
notice that you are given more information... but not directly.. you can find Voltage then..use energy to solve..use the 5 kinematics equation

Delphi51 said:
Welcome to PF, Gizmo!

Well, you need the trajectory of the electron, probably in the form of a nice y = function of time, and x = function of time formula.
First step: separate the initial velocity into horizontal and vertical parts. I would then use d = vt for the horizontal part and
d = Vi*t + .5*a*t² for the vertical part. You would then be in a position to predict the maximum height and see whether it is greater than the 2 cm you have room for.

It should be L = v*t

It should be L = v*t
Explanation needed . . . L is given to be fixed at 4 cm but I'm thinking of a function of time with varying value, hence d = v*t. Actually x = v*t would be clearer but good old d = v*t should bring back memories from high school.

Ah, perhaps you are interested in calculating the time when it reaches the far side of plate region. But we really need the trajectory for the whole flight through that region in order to see if it hits the top plate on the way.

What is meant by "An electron is shot between plates"?

This phrase refers to the process of accelerating an electron and then releasing it between two parallel plates, typically with an electric field applied.

Why is this experiment important?

This experiment is important because it helps us understand the behavior of charged particles in electric fields and can be used to measure the charge and mass of an electron.

How does the electric field affect the electron's path?

The electric field between the plates exerts a force on the electron, causing it to accelerate in the direction of the field. This acceleration causes the electron's path to curve towards the positive plate.

What happens to the electron after it passes between the plates?

After passing between the plates, the electron may continue to move in a straight line or it may be deflected by another electric or magnetic field. It may also be absorbed by a material or collide with another particle.

Can this experiment be used to create electricity?

No, this experiment does not generate electricity. It simply demonstrates the behavior of electrons in an electric field. However, the principles learned from this experiment can be applied in various technologies, including generators and batteries, to produce electricity.