About the definition of measurable functions

In summary, there are two definitions of measurable functions. The first one is the abstract definition, where a function is measurable if the preimage of any set in the codomain is in the sigma-algebra of the domain. The second definition is more concrete and states that a function is measurable if the preimage of any open set in the codomain is Lebesgue-measurable. This definition is often used because it is a generalization of continuity and ensures that continuous functions are measurable. The choice of using Lebesgue measurable sets in the domain and Borel sets in the codomain is the most commonly used and is often assumed unless specified otherwise.
Turambar
I've encountered two definitions of measurable functions.

First, the abstract one: function [tex]f: (X, \mathcal{F}) \to (Y, \mathcal{G})[/tex], where [tex]\mathcal{F}[/tex] and [tex]\mathcal{G}[/tex] are [tex]\sigma[/tex]-algebras respect to some measure, is measurable if for each [tex]A \in \mathcal{G}, f^{-1}(A) \in \mathcal{F}[/tex].

The more concrete definition: [tex]f: \mathbb{R}^n \to \mathbb{R}^m[/tex] is measurable if for each open set [tex]A \in \mathbb{R}^m, f^{-1}(A)[/tex] is Lebesgue-measurable.

So my question is why in the latter definition is the set [tex]A[/tex] defined to be open? In the sense of the first definition the set [tex]A[/tex] was only measurable, not necessarily open. I can see that the latter definition can be seen as a generalization of the definition of continuity, but still why isn't [tex]A[/tex] just taken to be Lebesgue-measurable, not necessarily open or some other Borel set? Maybe it's because many often encountered sets are Borel sets.

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe it has to do with the fact that the sigma algebra in Rm is gnerated by the open sets.

No, according to my memory, open sets generate only the Borel-measurable sets of [tex]\mathbb{R}^m[/tex] (which is the smallest [tex]\sigma[/tex]-algebra that contains the closed sets). It is a theorem that the preimage of a Borel set under a measurable function is measurable, but what about sets that are Lebesgue, but not Borel?

The reason behind the definition might be the following. Clearly we want every continuous function to be measurable. Now in the case of continuous function the preimage of every open set is open, ie. measurable in Lebesgue sense. So by the latter definition continuous functions are measurable. Now if the former definition is used, then there might be some measurable set whose preimage under a continuous function is not measurable, and thus continuous functions wouldn't necessarily be measurable. I don't know if continuity implies that this is impossible, but I guess it doesn't. Thoughts?

In the definition, when we talk about measurability of a function [tex]f \colon \mathbb{R}^n \to \mathbb{R}^m[/tex] without specifying sigma-algebras, we mean that you should use the Lebesgue measurable sets in [tex]\mathbb{R}^n[/tex] and the Borel sets in [tex]\mathbb{R}^m[/tex]. Why that choice? Because it is the most often used.

Measurability of functions is often stated as X-measurability where X is the [tex]\sigma[/tex]-algebra defining the measurable space, so I think you need to specify a [tex]\sigma[/tex]-algebra to talk about a functions measurability. Usually if measurability is used without specifying ( as when you say X-measurable) Lebesgue measurability is implied. If you look around in your book you'll find some statement like "from here on when we say measurable we'll mean Lebesgue measurable..." Basically what Edgar said. There's an assumption of the [tex]\sigma[/tex]-algebra being used.

What is the definition of a measurable function?

A measurable function is a mathematical function that maps elements from one measurable space to another measurable space. It is a concept commonly used in measure theory to describe functions that can be measured or assigned a numerical value.

What is the importance of measurable functions in science?

Measurable functions are important in science because they allow us to quantify and analyze various aspects of the natural world. They are used in fields such as physics, chemistry, and biology to describe and model phenomena, and in statistics to analyze data and make predictions.

How are measurable functions different from other types of functions?

Unlike other types of functions, measurable functions have the property of measurability, which means that they can be assigned a numerical value and their outputs can be measured. This is important in scientific research as it allows for precise and consistent measurements and analyses.

What are some examples of measurable functions?

Some examples of measurable functions include temperature (measurable in degrees Celsius or Fahrenheit), weight (measurable in grams or pounds), and time (measurable in seconds or minutes). In science, measurable functions can also describe more complex systems, such as the rate of a chemical reaction or the growth of a population over time.

How are measurable functions used in real-world applications?

Measurable functions are used in a wide range of real-world applications, such as weather forecasting, drug development, and economic modeling. They allow scientists to make accurate predictions, analyze data, and make informed decisions in various industries and fields of study.