Force , Resultant Force, Magnitude & Direction

In summary, the conversation is discussing a system of forces shown in Figure 1a and determining the magnitude and direction of the resultant force. The changes in magnitude and direction of the resultant force are based on the data in Table 1, which includes finding the components for each force and finding the resultant using the formula √(Rx2+Ry2). The angle of the resultant can be found by using the formula tanθ=Rx/Ry. A diagram can also be sketched to visualize the resultant force.
BaLTHEBEAST
Figure 1a shows a system of forces is pulled an object on different directions.

1a) Determine the magnitude and direction of the resultant force for the system of forces shown.

1b) Explain the changes of magnitude and direction of resultant force for the system of forces based on the data in Table 1. Show your changes for each force F2 and F1 .

http://img832.imageshack.us/i/scan0023z.jpg/

That link is the picture for Table 1 and Figure 1a.

Please help. I appreciate your help! Advanced thanks from me!

Physics news on Phys.org
BaLTHEBEAST said:

For easy,

(1)First find up the degree respect for horizontal-x.

(2)Find the components-xy for each forces:

(i)Rx=∑Fx=F4cos(90-42)+F3cos(35)+...
(ii)Ry=∑Fy=F4sin(90-42)+F3sin(35)+...

(3)Finally, find the resultant R=√(Rx2+Ry2)

And sketch the diagram for resultant R to find up its angle:

tanθ=Rx/Ry

Last edited:

What is force?

Force is a quantitative measure of the interaction between two objects that results in a change in their motion. It can be described as a push or pull exerted by one object on another.

What is a resultant force?

A resultant force is the sum of all forces acting on an object, taking into account both their magnitudes and directions. It is the overall force that results from the combination of multiple forces.

How is the magnitude of a force determined?

The magnitude of a force is determined by measuring the amount of acceleration it produces in an object, or by using a force measuring device such as a spring scale or a dynamometer.

What is the direction of a force?

The direction of a force is the line along which the force is acting. It is typically represented by an arrow pointing in the direction of the force.

How are forces represented mathematically?

Forces are represented mathematically using vectors, which include both magnitude and direction. They can be added or subtracted using vector operations to determine the resultant force.