Simple Static Pressure problem, with units

In summary, the problem involves determining the pressure at the bottom of a bathtub filled with water. The solution involves using the equation P=pgh and converting units to find the gauge pressure. The final answer is in pounds per square inch (psi).
hackashack

Homework Statement

Hi I'm having trouble solving this physics problem if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated !

Static pressure problem: A bathtub contains water to a depth of 20 inches. Determine the pressure at the bottom of the bathtub in both [psia] and [psig] (a being absolute pressure and g being gauge pressure)

Homework Equations

im using P=pgh

The Attempt at a Solution

what I've tried doing was to find gauge pressure first: P=pgh=(1.94slug/ft^3)(32.2ft/s^2)(1.67ft). I got the 1.67 feet from converting 20 inches to feet. the answer i get is 104.11slug/s^2 but they want it in psi or lb/in^2 and i am having trouble converting these units =[

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is static pressure?

Static pressure is defined as the force per unit area exerted by a fluid on a surface when the fluid is at rest. It is typically measured in units of pressure such as Pascals (Pa) or pounds per square inch (psi).

2. How is static pressure different from dynamic pressure?

Static pressure is the pressure exerted by a fluid when it is not in motion, while dynamic pressure is the pressure of a fluid in motion. Static pressure is the same in all directions, while dynamic pressure varies with direction and is usually higher than static pressure.

3. How is static pressure measured?

Static pressure is typically measured using instruments such as pressure gauges or manometers. These instruments measure the force exerted by the fluid on a known area and convert it into pressure units.

4. What are some real-world applications of static pressure?

Static pressure is important in many fields, including fluid dynamics, aerodynamics, and HVAC systems. It is used to calculate air flow in ducts, determine the lift and drag on an airplane, and measure blood pressure in medical settings.

5. How can I calculate static pressure in a simple problem?

In a simple static pressure problem, you can use the equation P = F/A, where P is static pressure, F is the force exerted by the fluid, and A is the area on which the force is acting. Make sure to use consistent units for pressure, force, and area in your calculation.