Complex Number- Express in magnitude/phase form

In summary, the conversation is about a problem with complex numbers that requires the use of complex exponentials to calculate the magnitude and phase form of a/(iw+a). The person asking for help is struggling with the concept and needs clarification on how to approach the problem using complex exponentials.
aqmal_12
Hi, I have a problem with complex number. I do really appreciate your help. I've attempted the question but it's getting me no where. Thanks in advance!

Homework Statement

Perform the following complex variable calculations, using complex exponentials. Express the results in magnitude/phase form

a/(iw+a)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I just attempted this solution but it's getting me nowhere.

a/(a+iw) x (a-iw)/(a-iw) = a(a-iw)/a^2 + w^2

and as I factorize it further, I get the initial problem back. How do I transform this to the form of magnitude and phase? thank you so much.

Physics news on Phys.org
First, you need parentheses- you mean [itex]a(a- iw)/(a^2+ w^2)= (a^2/(a^2+w^2))- i (aw/(a^2+ w^2)[/itex]. Frankly, the difficulty appears toijn be that the problem asks you to "use complex exponentials", writing the "magnitude" and "phase" and you don't seem to know what those are! This problem expects you to know that the "complex exponential" for x+ iy is [itex](\sqrt{x^2+ y^3})e^{i arctan(y/x)}[/itex]. Just do that with x= a^2/(a^2+ w^2) and y= aw/(a^2+ w^2).

But the problem says to do the calculations "using complex exponentials" and I would interpret that as meaning to change into complex exponentials and then do the caculation. The caculation is a/(a+ iw). The "complex exponential" for a is easy- a is a real number so its argument is 0 or [itex]\pi[/itex] and its distance from the origin is |a|- its complex exponential is [itex]a e^{i0}[/itex] if a is positive and [itex]-a e^{i\pi}[/itex] if a is negative. And the complex exponential of a+ iw is just what I showed above: [itex]\sqrt{a^2+ w^2}e^{i arctan(w/a)}[/itex].

What are complex numbers and how are they expressed in magnitude/phase form?

Complex numbers are numbers that have both a real and imaginary component. They are typically expressed in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part. In magnitude/phase form, a complex number is expressed as r(cosθ + isinθ), where r is the magnitude and θ is the phase angle.

How do you find the magnitude of a complex number?

The magnitude of a complex number is calculated by taking the square root of the sum of the squares of the real and imaginary components. In other words, the magnitude is equal to √(a² + b²), where a is the real part and b is the imaginary part.

How do you find the phase angle of a complex number?

The phase angle of a complex number is calculated using the inverse tangent function. Specifically, the phase angle is equal to tan⁻¹(b/a), where a is the real part and b is the imaginary part. The result is typically given in radians.

Can complex numbers be plotted on a graph?

Yes, complex numbers can be plotted on a graph. The real component is plotted on the horizontal axis and the imaginary component is plotted on the vertical axis. This creates a complex plane, where points on the plane correspond to specific complex numbers.

What are some real-world applications of complex numbers in magnitude/phase form?

Complex numbers in magnitude/phase form are often used in fields such as electrical engineering and signal processing. They can be used to represent and analyze alternating currents in circuits, sound waves, and other oscillating systems. They are also used in the study of quantum mechanics and electromagnetism.