Relationship between hyperbolic cosine and cosine

In summary, the hyperbola x^2-y^2=1 intersects with the line y=mx at the positive x-coordinate x=\sqrt{\frac{1}{1-\tan^2\alpha}}=\sqrt{\frac{\cos^2 \alpha}{\cos(2\alpha)}}=\cos\alpha \sqrt{\sec(2\alpha)} where the identity m=\tan\alpha is used. However, the relationship \cosh(\alpha)=\cos(i\alpha) does not hold, as the hyperbolic cosine is not simply the x-coordinate of the intersection of a ray with the hyperbola. It is defined as the x-coordinate of a point at distance t around the curve x^2-
mnb96
Hello,

I am considering the hyperbola [itex]x^2-y^2=1[/itex] and its intersection with the line y=mx. The positive x-coordinate of the intersection is given by: [tex]x=\sqrt{\frac{1}{1-\tan^2\alpha}}=\sqrt{\frac{\cos^2 \alpha}{\cos(2\alpha)}}=\cos\alpha \sqrt{\sec(2\alpha)}[/tex] where we used the identity [itex]m=\tan\alpha[/itex].

However, using Euler formulas for cosines does not seem to give the relationship: [itex]\cosh(\alpha)=\cos(i\alpha)[/itex].
Am I using a wrong geometrical definition of hyperbolic cosine? I mean, perhaps the hyperbolic cosine is not simply the x-coordinate of the intersection of a ray with the hyperbola?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
hello mnb96! :smile:

(i'm not quite following your question, but anyway …)

you need to use m = tanhα :wink:

mnb96 said:
Hello,

I am considering the hyperbola [itex]x^2-y^2=1[/itex] and its intersection with the line y=mx. The positive x-coordinate of the intersection is given by: [tex]x=\sqrt{\frac{1}{1-\tan^2\alpha}}=\sqrt{\frac{\cos^2 \alpha}{\cos(2\alpha)}}=\cos\alpha \sqrt{\sec(2\alpha)}[/tex] where we used the identity [itex]m=\tan\alpha[/itex].

However, using Euler formulas for cosines does not seem to give the relationship: [itex]\cosh(\alpha)=\cos(i\alpha)[/itex].
Am I using a wrong geometrical definition of hyperbolic cosine? I mean, perhaps the hyperbolic cosine is not simply the x-coordinate of the intersection of a ray with the hyperbola?
Yes, you are. The line y= mx has nothing to do with it. 'cos(t)' is defined as the x-coordinate of the point (x,y) at distance t around the circumference of the circle, [itex]x^2+ y^2= 1[/itex] from (1, 0).

So 'cosh(t)' is the x-coordinate of (x, y) at distance t around the curve [itex]x^2- y^2= 1[/itex] from (1, 0).

thanks for your replies!

@Hallsofivy: when you said "distance around the circumference" you meant distance in terms of arc length of the circumference of the unit circle?

mnb96 said:
@Hallsofivy: when you said "distance around the circumference" you meant distance in terms of arc length of the circumference of the unit circle?

yes he did :smile:

arc-distance round a circle is proportional to angle,

and arc-distance round a hyperbola is proportional to hyperangle :wink:

1. What is the difference between hyperbolic cosine and cosine?

The hyperbolic cosine function, cosh(x), is a mathematical function that is defined in terms of the exponential function. It is closely related to the regular cosine function, cos(x), but has a different shape and properties. While cos(x) is defined for all real numbers, cosh(x) is defined for all complex numbers.

2. What is the relationship between hyperbolic cosine and cosine?

The relationship between the two functions is that cosh(x) is the even part of the complex exponential function, while cos(x) is the odd part. In other words, cosh(x) is the even part of e^x + e^-x, while cos(x) is the odd part of e^x - e^-x. This relationship is also reflected in the identities cosh(x) = (e^x + e^-x)/2 and cos(x) = (e^x - e^-x)/2.

3. How are the graphs of hyperbolic cosine and cosine related?

The graphs of cosh(x) and cos(x) are similar in shape, but have different scales on the x-axis. The graph of cosh(x) is a "flatter" version of the graph of cos(x), with a wider range of values on the x-axis. Additionally, while the graph of cos(x) oscillates between -1 and 1, the graph of cosh(x) increases without bound as x approaches infinity.

4. How do hyperbolic cosine and cosine relate to trigonometric functions?

Both cosh(x) and cos(x) are trigonometric functions, but they are not the same as sine, cosine, and tangent. However, they are related to the complex exponential function, and can be expressed in terms of sine and cosine. For example, cosh(x) = (e^x + e^-x)/2 = cos(ix), where i is the imaginary unit.

5. What are the real-world applications of hyperbolic cosine and cosine?

Hyperbolic cosine and cosine have many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. In physics, they are used to describe the motion of a damped harmonic oscillator and the shape of a catenary curve. In engineering, they are used to model the behavior of electric circuits and to calculate the stability of structures. They also have applications in statistics, signal processing, and finance.