Elastic Collisions: billiard ball problem with a twist

In summary: BMontage _ yIn summary, the first ball goes off at 30 degree angle above x-axis and the second ball goes off at 45 degree angle below x-axis. The final velocities of the two balls are both less than the initial kinetic energies.
Benny851

Homework Statement

A billiard ball ( mass = 10kg, initial velocity is 5 m/s) is launched along x-axis at a stationary billiard ball ( mass = 5kg). After collision, the first ball goes off at 30 degree angle above x-axis and 2nd ball goes off at 45 degree angle below x-axis. Calculate the final velocities of both billiard balls.

Homework Equations

M1V1 + M2V2 = M1V1final + M2V2final (conservation of momentum)

1/2M1V1^2 + 1/2M2V2^2 = 1/2M1V1final + 1/2M2V2^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Typically in most billiard ball problems you are not given both angle measurements, which means you need 3 equations: momentum in x direction, momentum in y direction and Kinetic energy. But, in this case I only have 2 unknowns, not 3. So my question is whether I need to even use the third kinetic energy equation? I don't understand how I can solve for 2 unknowns by using 3 equations. My gut tells me just to use the 2 momentum equations, which is what I have been doing, but whenever I read about elastic collision problems I see that KE equation is also used. Some guidance on this topic would be really appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Momentum is always conserved, so if here is enough information given to solve the problem using only conservation of momentum, go for it!

Your reasoning is correct, there's no need for the kinetic energy equations precisely because you know the angles they went off on. It's really just a way to test your understanding, to make sure you appreciate the underlying concept (conservation of linear momentum) by changing the usual form of the question. Mathematically, it's an example of what's sometimes called an overdetermined system (more equations than unknowns). Of course, once you know the final velocities you can then go ahead and calculate the kinetic energies, if you wished.

The initial kinetic energy is 125 J. When I work out the final speeds of the two balls using conservation of momentum, the total energy is a bit more than 125 J. So the directions given for the balls after the collision is not quite possible.

AM

You are correct that in this problem, you only need to use the two equations for conservation of momentum in the x and y directions. The third equation for kinetic energy is not necessary because the problem does not require you to calculate the final velocities in terms of their kinetic energy. Instead, you can use the given information about the angles to find the components of the final velocities in the x and y directions. The conservation of momentum equations will allow you to solve for these components and then you can use trigonometry to find the magnitude and direction of the final velocities.

What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision where the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved. This means that the total energy of the system before and after the collision remains the same.

How is an elastic collision different from an inelastic collision?

In an inelastic collision, the total kinetic energy of the system is not conserved. Some energy is lost during the collision, usually in the form of heat or deformation of the objects involved.

What is the billiard ball problem with a twist?

The billiard ball problem with a twist is a classic physics problem that involves calculating the final velocities of two elastic billiard balls after they collide. The twist in this problem is that the second ball is initially at rest, making the problem more challenging.

What are the variables involved in solving the billiard ball problem with a twist?

The variables involved in solving the billiard ball problem with a twist include the masses and velocities of the two balls, as well as the coefficient of restitution, which represents the elasticity of the collision.

How is the billiard ball problem with a twist solved?

The billiard ball problem with a twist can be solved using the principle of conservation of momentum and the coefficient of restitution. The momentum of the system before and after the collision must be equal, and the coefficient of restitution can be used to calculate the final velocities of the two balls.