Why Can't I Edit Posts After Changing DNS Names?

• Thread starter ShawnD
  • Start date
In summary, you can edit posts that are more than a year old, but this will depend on the platform. Editing old posts on social media can vary, but in general, you can access them by going to your profile or timeline and clicking on the edit or pencil icon. The impact of editing an old post on engagement or visibility will vary depending on the platform and its algorithm. You can edit old posts on a different device as long as you are logged into the same account, but some platforms may have limitations or different interfaces for mobile and desktop. It is possible to revert back to the original version of an old post on some platforms, but not all may have this feature.
ShawnD
Science Advisor
I changed DNS names a few weeks ago, so I went into the member photo thread to update the image addresses only to find that I'm not able to edit posts that were made that long ago.

How can I edit old posts?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ask a moderator to fix the link for you.

We put a timer on the edit option because a member abused the privilege and went back and deleted every post he made, ruining several threads in the process.

Shawn, just pm me the post numbers & what the new links should be.

1. Can I edit posts that are more than a year old?

Yes, you can edit posts that are more than a year old. However, this will depend on the platform or website where the post was originally published. Some platforms may have limitations on how far back you can edit posts, while others may allow you to edit posts regardless of how old they are.

2. How do I edit old posts on social media?

Editing old posts on social media can vary depending on the platform. In general, you can access your old posts by going to your profile or timeline and scrolling through your past posts. You can then click on the post you want to edit and look for the edit or pencil icon to make changes. Keep in mind that some platforms may have additional steps or limitations for editing old posts.

3. Will editing an old post affect its engagement or visibility?

It depends on the platform and its algorithm. Some platforms may treat edited posts as new content, while others may not give it the same level of visibility as a new post. Additionally, if you make significant changes to an old post, it may not appear in the same place or in the same order on your profile or feed.

4. Can I edit old posts on a different device?

Yes, you can edit old posts on a different device as long as you are logged into the same account. However, some platforms may not allow you to edit posts on certain devices or may have different interfaces for editing posts on mobile versus desktop.

5. Is it possible to revert back to the original version of an old post?

Again, this will depend on the platform. Some platforms may have a "revert" or "undo" option when editing posts, while others may not have this feature. If you are unable to revert back to the original version, you may need to manually make the changes or delete the post and repost the original version.