What do I need to know to study calculus?

In summary, the main prerequisites for starting calculus are a strong foundation in algebra, trigonometry, and euclidean geometry. Other helpful topics include logic and basic graphing skills. Recommended textbooks for calculus include Spivak, Apostol, and Courant for a deeper understanding of the theory, and Stewart for a more approachable introduction. It is important to have a good understanding of algebraic concepts and be able to solve various equations and inequalities before starting calculus.
The Rev
What are the prerequisites?

In High School, we had Algebra I, Geometry, Algebra II (Intermediate Algebra), Trigonometry, and pre-calc classes, and you took them in that order. Do I only need the basics of Algebra, Euclidean Geometry and Trigonometry to start with calculus? Or are there other topics that would really help?

Also, if you know any good textbook recommendations for any of these areas, I would appreciate hearing them.

Thanks!

:approve:

The Rev

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Yes... algebra trig, and euclidean geometry are pretty much the major pre-reqs ( I consider pre-calc just a combination of the first two plus the transcendentals ln, e, log etc..)

Just to note, the better you are at algebra the easier time you'll have with calculus.

Texts:
The three classics are Spivak, Apostol, And Courant. They are also very challenging, but will really teach you the theory of calculus, not just how to use the formulas.

Just about all the others are considered cookbooks ie: they teach you the formulas, but not much of the theory.
-of the most recommended here is probably Stewart. If your not a math-wiz or you don't like a challenge, it might be best to start here and then move on to one of the three above.

edit: As far as a subject that would help, but is not necessary, would be logic (good for all math).

Last edited:
I think Stewart is just fine, especially with the appendix on "proofs of selected theorems." He still does epsilon-delta, doesn't he?

In conjunction with Stewart, you also should at least glance at the books by Hughes-Hallet, the Harvard folk responsible for "Calculus reform." I'll let the other people here point out the defeciencies in the reform approach.

In terms of prerequisites, you should be able to take a function and calculate a difference quotient:
(f(x+h)-f(x))/h and simplify it completely for, for starters, functions like

Sqrt[x], 1/x, x^2, x^3, 1/x^2, and -x^2-3x+1.

You should understand the difference between
x+1
and
(x^2-1)/(x-1).

You should be able to graph basic functions like
x^n (n integer), x^n (n rational), a x^2+b x+c, Trig[x] (Trig=one of the six circular functions from trigonometry), Exp[x], Log[x], and for an f listed above, something of the form a f[b x+c] + d.

You should be able to solve algebraic inequalities like
(x^2+4x+4)/(x-1) > 0.

There's I suspect more prerequisites but that's all the jumps out at me at this time.

As far as Spivak goes, my philosophy is to try out someone like Hemmingway before someone like that Russian dude who wrote War and Peace. But I would recommend trying Spivak, et al, but to not let yourself get too frustrated with the knowledge that those are some fairly hard core books.

the main prereq for cookbook calc is algebra. for honors calc logic is important.

i recommend an old old college algebra book. much better than any new "precalc" book.

1. What is the prerequisite knowledge needed to study calculus?

To study calculus, you should have a strong foundation in algebra, geometry, and basic trigonometry. It is also helpful to have a good understanding of functions, including linear, quadratic, exponential, and logarithmic functions.

2. Do I need to be good at math to study calculus?

While a strong math background is helpful, it is not necessary to be a math genius to study calculus. With dedication and practice, anyone can learn and understand calculus concepts.

3. How important is having good problem-solving skills for studying calculus?

Problem-solving skills are essential for studying calculus. Calculus involves solving complex problems and requires critical thinking and analytical skills. It is important to develop and practice problem-solving strategies to be successful in calculus.

4. Is it necessary to memorize formulas to study calculus?

Memorizing formulas can be helpful, but it is not necessary to study calculus. Understanding the concepts and principles behind the formulas is more important. With a solid understanding of fundamentals, you can derive most of the formulas used in calculus.

5. How much time should I dedicate to studying calculus?

The amount of time needed to study calculus varies for each individual. However, it is recommended to spend at least 3-4 hours per week studying and practicing calculus problems. It is also important to regularly review and reinforce previously learned concepts to stay on track.