The Evolution of Human Diet: A Scientific Perspective

• Thread starter Yashbhatt
  • Start date
In summary: As you said, plants are hard to digest. So, if in future somehow we find a way to completely digest the substances found in plants, then would the claim be true?Yes, if we could completely digest plants, that would be true.
Curious3141 said:
Actually, I don't insist on any of what I said. I merely wanted to point out the fallacy inherent in the Scientific American article (that Evo quoted), which argues that the meat-eating lifestyle is evolutionarily linked to higher intelligence. I wanted to demonstrate that it's easy to argue the other way too, as I have.
You didn't demonstrate anything. Please post the peer reviewed studies that show that we would have evolved as we did without meat. It is widely accepted that meat was responsible for the changes that made us the way we are today.

So I am no more "snobby" than the author of that SA article. If you agree with him, my argument is a reasonable counterpoint. But if you (rightly) think he's full of it, feel free to assume that I am making a purely rhetorical point.
No, just because you say so doesn't work here, you need to actually post mainstream studies that show your personal theory has scientific backing.

You might wish to read this study, if it's too much, then specifically http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK53561/#ch1.s3 will show why adding meat changed us.

Monique said:
I was questioning why Evo brings up that quote.
Because it would help the Op to understand why our bodies developed to be omnivores. It makes no claims that we don't have modern means in some parts of the world to make a vegetarian diet completely adequate.

Last edited:
<h2>1. What is the evolution of human diet?</h2><p>The evolution of human diet refers to the changes in the types of foods that humans have consumed over time. It includes the transition from a diet primarily based on wild plants and animals to a more diverse and processed diet that includes grains, dairy, and other agricultural products.</p><h2>2. Why is understanding the evolution of human diet important?</h2><p>Understanding the evolution of human diet is important because it provides insight into the dietary patterns and nutritional needs of our ancestors. It can also help us understand the impact of modern diets on our health and well-being.</p><h2>3. How has the human diet evolved over time?</h2><p>The human diet has evolved significantly over time. Early humans primarily consumed wild plants and animals, but with the development of agriculture, our diet shifted to include more grains, dairy, and other domesticated products. In recent years, there has been a rise in processed and convenience foods, leading to a more diverse and calorie-dense diet.</p><h2>4. What are the main factors that have influenced the evolution of human diet?</h2><p>The evolution of human diet has been influenced by various factors, including environmental changes, cultural and societal practices, technological advancements, and availability of food sources. These factors have led to the adoption of new dietary patterns and the introduction of new foods into our diets.</p><h2>5. How does the evolution of human diet impact our health?</h2><p>The evolution of human diet has had a significant impact on our health. While the shift to a more diverse and processed diet has provided us with more food options, it has also led to an increase in chronic diseases such as obesity, diabetes, and heart disease. Understanding our evolutionary diet can help us make more informed decisions about our food choices and improve our overall health and well-being.</p>

1. What is the evolution of human diet?

The evolution of human diet refers to the changes in the types of foods that humans have consumed over time. It includes the transition from a diet primarily based on wild plants and animals to a more diverse and processed diet that includes grains, dairy, and other agricultural products.

2. Why is understanding the evolution of human diet important?

Understanding the evolution of human diet is important because it provides insight into the dietary patterns and nutritional needs of our ancestors. It can also help us understand the impact of modern diets on our health and well-being.

3. How has the human diet evolved over time?

The human diet has evolved significantly over time. Early humans primarily consumed wild plants and animals, but with the development of agriculture, our diet shifted to include more grains, dairy, and other domesticated products. In recent years, there has been a rise in processed and convenience foods, leading to a more diverse and calorie-dense diet.

4. What are the main factors that have influenced the evolution of human diet?

The evolution of human diet has been influenced by various factors, including environmental changes, cultural and societal practices, technological advancements, and availability of food sources. These factors have led to the adoption of new dietary patterns and the introduction of new foods into our diets.

5. How does the evolution of human diet impact our health?

The evolution of human diet has had a significant impact on our health. While the shift to a more diverse and processed diet has provided us with more food options, it has also led to an increase in chronic diseases such as obesity, diabetes, and heart disease. Understanding our evolutionary diet can help us make more informed decisions about our food choices and improve our overall health and well-being.