The Water Level Rises - Investigating the Melting Ice Cube

In summary: Originally posted by David90 H20 does some strange things around its melting point, there is not really enough information in the problem to allow for those small effects. You would need to know the starting temperature of the water, and the ice, and their masses etc. If the thermal expansion coefficient of liquid water were monotonic, you could do what you say, but water is at it's maximum density at 4 degrees C I believe. Heat it or cool it from that point and it expands.I think you are mistaken, David. The thermal expansion coefficient of water is not monotonic- it increases as the temperature increases. Thus, if you heat water from 4 degrees C to 5 degrees C
chemical
stuck in explaining this problem

A glass of water contains a large ice cube

the glass can hold no morw water

the ice is floating in the water

what will happen to the water level when the ice melts?

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Guybrush Threepwood
the level will drop.
the ice has a density a bit lower than the water (that's why ice is floating).

http://www.its.caltech.edu/~atomic/snowcrystals/ice/ice.htm

I disagree. The ice cube is made wholly of water in a cryistaline form and therefore its mass although lower than liquid water would still diplace the same amount of water as is contained within the cube. if the cube melts the water from it will replace exactly the water that was originally displaced by the cube. therefore the level will remain the same.

Rog has it right. A floating object displaces its mass, a sunken one displaces its volume. Remember Archimedes.

Njorl

Originally posted by Rog
I disagree. The ice cube is made wholly of water in a cryistaline form and therefore its mass although lower than liquid water would still diplace the same amount of water as is contained within the cube. if the cube melts the water from it will replace exactly the water that was originally displaced by the cube. therefore the level will remain the same.

Is a perfect ice cube is made of wholly crystaline water? Aside from bubbles or such trapped particles, (which I am discounting), does the surface of the cube remain as a solid, or is it in a dynamic process of changing it's state?

Originally posted by S = k log w
Is a perfect ice cube is made of wholly crystaline water? Aside from bubbles or such trapped particles, (which I am discounting), does the surface of the cube remain as a solid, or is it in a dynamic process of changing it's state?

It doesn't matter. Even if the ice cube was an ice bubble, the amount of water it displaces is identical [to the volume (melted) of the water contained in the ice].

I know the answer to this question! I did this question for my hw.

The answer is the water level will lower and then rise. I'm not sure at what temp, but water has a different density at certain temp. I think near 3 or 4 C, the density is lower than at other temp.

Originally posted by david90
I know the answer to this question! I did this question for my hw.

The answer is the water level will lower and then rise. I'm not sure at what temp, but water has a different density at certain temp. I think near 3 or 4 C, the density is lower than at other temp.

H20 does some strange things around its melting point, there is not really enough information in the problem to allow for those small effects. You would need to know the starting temperature of the water, and the ice, and their masses etc. If the thermal expansion coefficient of liquid water were monotonic, you could do what you say, but water is at it's maximum density at 4 degrees C I believe. Heat it or cool it from that point and it expands.

Njorl

1. What is the purpose of investigating the melting ice cube?

The purpose of investigating the melting ice cube is to understand the effects of climate change on the Earth's polar ice caps and to raise awareness about the urgent need for action to prevent further melting.

2. How does the melting ice cube experiment work?

The melting ice cube experiment involves placing a cube of ice in a container of water and observing how it melts over time. This simulates the melting of polar ice caps due to rising global temperatures.

3. What can we learn from the melting ice cube experiment?

The melting ice cube experiment can teach us about the process of melting and how it is affected by external factors such as temperature and surface area. It also highlights the importance of addressing climate change and its impacts on our planet.

4. How does the melting ice cube experiment relate to real-world situations?

The melting ice cube experiment is a simplified version of the real-world situation of melting polar ice caps. It demonstrates how changes in temperature and surface area can lead to melting and how this can have significant consequences for our planet, such as rising sea levels and disruptions to ecosystems.

5. What can I do to help prevent the melting of polar ice caps?

There are many actions you can take to help prevent the melting of polar ice caps, such as reducing your carbon footprint by using renewable energy sources, supporting policies and initiatives that address climate change, and educating others about the issue. Every small step towards reducing greenhouse gas emissions can make a difference in preserving our polar ice caps.