Color Coding Of Names Explained

• Thread starter Vanadium 50
  • Start date
In summary, people with black names that are not bolded are members who are "still awaiting email confirmation"-- either newbies, or other members who have changed their email address
Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
2023 Award
Hi everyone-

Can someone explain the color coding of names?
Black is "regular"
Orange is "gold" - people who have paid.
Green are the mentors.
People with lines through their names are...um...obvious.
What about black that's not bolded?
Oh, and Greg is blue.

Any others?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think non-bold black are members who are "still awaiting email confirmation"-- either newbies, or other members who have changed their email address and not responded to the activation email.

Bold black is "regular". A few users are in non-bold black, same size font as everyone else. When we had feeds from sci.physics news groups the user names for messages posted to the news group by non PF members appeared as non-bold black in a smaller font and not underlined.

Edit
Cristo, thanks (post #2) (posts caught in the cross-fire)

Last edited:
Yes, non-bold members are those that are awaiting e-mail confirmation. Admins are blue BTW.

Vanadium 50 said:
Hi everyone-

Can someone explain the color coding of names?
Black is "regular"
Orange is "gold" - people who have paid.
Green are the mentors.
People with lines through their names are...um...obvious.
What about black that's not bolded?
Oh, and Greg is blue.

Any others?

What are the strikethroughs?

Oops. I see it now.

Last edited:
cristo said:
I think non-bold black are members who are "still awaiting email confirmation"-- either newbies, or other members who have changed their email address and not responded to the activation email.

Either so, or then they are people who have not received an email confirmation request message from the physicsforums. You cannot deduce which has happened from the fact that a person has not responded with an email confirmation.

I think an underlined, nonbold, black font that also has a raised black line through the username (strikethrough) means the user is temporarily banned, permanently banned, deceased, or the user requested his/her account be deleted. I think a non-underlined, nonbold, black font without the strikethrough can also mean the user requested his/her account be closed but not deleted; I don't know if this font differs from the nonbold, black font mentioned in other posts, above.

I think only a black line below your username means you really exist, and are momentarily safe. :biggrin:

You don't get a line through your account for being deceased.

When I was a child, I made my Lego creations (and some of them were awesome) with absolutely no regard for the colour of the bricks I'd use. I'm not sure it ever even occurred to me to try to colour-coordinate my models.

I had never noticed that the names have colours. I just went and checked. Mine is gold.

BTW, it gets more ironic. I am an artist and I spent ten years in photo processing, where colour differentiation is essential.

Does a username get a line through it if the account is inactive for a long time (but the user isn't deceased)?

So what if a long time member, usually bold, goes...pale...all of a sudden? Does that mean their email on record is no longer valid?

nvn said:
Does a username get a line through it if the account is inactive for a long time (but the user isn't deceased)?

I don't believe so. I haven't noticed that in old threads.

lisab said:
So what if a long time member, usually bold, goes...pale...all of a sudden? Does that mean their email on record is no longer valid?

I think I know who you mean, and we don't need to go there right now.

lisab said:

See here:

cristo said:

Do we have to report ourselves to PF if we become deceased?

GeorginaS said:

In the scepticism and debunking forum.

nvn said:

Not usually.

I don't know whether it's mentioned or not but I guess the 1s who have disabled private messaging also have not-bold usernames!

Lisa! said:
I don't know whether it's mentioned or not but I guess the 1s who have disabled private messaging also have not-bold usernames!

I don't think so lisa.

Kurdt said:
I don't think so lisa.

Sounds like you are right! But I saw cyrus's ID was non-bolded and you know he has activate his account long time ago!:biggrin:

lisab said:
So what if a long time member, usually bold

You mean font, or the way the user expresses himself?

Borek said:
You mean font, or the way the user expresses himself?

:rofl:

GeorginaS said:

NeoDevin said:
In the scepticism and debunking forum.

:rofl:

I'm pretty sure the awaiting email confirmation thing can happen even to long-time members if they do something like change their password...and if their email address on file isn't updated, that might be a problem if the confirmation is going to an old account used just for registering for the site, or that they no longer have or use. Greg can fix those issues, though, if you ask nicely and offer ring pops.

What is color coding of names?

Color coding of names is a system of assigning different colors to names in order to identify and differentiate them easily. It is commonly used in fields such as science, medicine, and education.

Why is color coding of names used?

Color coding of names is used to make it easier to identify and keep track of multiple names. This is particularly useful in large datasets or when working with multiple individuals or groups.

How does color coding of names work?

Color coding of names works by assigning different colors to different names based on a predetermined system. For example, in a dataset of students, each student's name may be assigned a different color based on their grade level or last name.

What are the benefits of color coding of names?

The benefits of color coding of names include increased organization, easier identification and tracking of names, and improved efficiency in data analysis and communication. It can also help to reduce errors and confusion when working with large amounts of data.

Are there any limitations to color coding of names?

One limitation of color coding of names is that it may not be suitable for all situations or individuals. Some people may have difficulty distinguishing between certain colors, and different cultural or personal preferences may also affect the effectiveness of color coding. Additionally, color coding may not be appropriate for sensitive or confidential information.