Unlocking an iPhone: Anyone done it?

• Thread starter Saladsamurai
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Iphone
In summary, the man is researching the possibility of an IMEI unlocking process to bring his phone back to Ghana. He plans to post back when he has results.
Saladsamurai
I am traveling back to Ghana in a week and would love to bring my phone and swap out the SIM card. I was wondering if anyone has purchased an unlock online? I watched a video of an unlock and it showed the person syncing with iTunes when done with the new carrier's SIM card inserted.

Does anyone know if I can unlock it and sync with iTunes with my original SIM card inserted and then just swap out the SIM when I get to Ghana? I will not have my computer with me and nor do I have access to a Ghanian SIM card at the moment.

I'm not really up to speed with phone tech...maybe some of the younger whipper-snappers can help :smile:

Computer science news on Phys.org
Do share photos and tales when you return from Ghana. It's on my list!

I can't help you with the unlocking, but fyi I do believe it will void your warranty.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Do share photos and tales when you return from Ghana. It's on my list!

I can't help you with the unlocking, but fyi I do believe it will void your warranty.

The man himself ladies and gentlemen! Yes. I feel awful now. I promised to share photos and tales when I returned from my first trip to Ghana a year ago and I still have not :frown: I will try to get last year's photos posted before I leave.

I did buy the new GoPro Hero 3 for this trip though, so I will certainly be capturing the adventures!

Edit: Oh yeah, the iPhone is a 4 so it's 1 year warranty is up anyway.

I got my old iPhone 3GS unlocked by my carrier (Telus, in Canada) for use as a travel phone (not that I've had the occasion, but for $35, I figured it'd be worth it).

In the course of my research, I came across the fact that there was a so-called factory unlock (where iTunes let's you know that you know that you have an unlocked phone on reset), in which your IMEI is added to Apple's list of unlocked phones:
http://www.iphonehacks.com/2012/07/permanent-iphone-unlock.html/iphone-unlock-itunes-screen

This contrasts with the jailbreak unlocking, which, as the name suggests, will go away if you have to update the phone software.

Long story short, make sure it's an actual IMEI unlock, and confirm that it's worked!

MATLABdude said:
I got my old iPhone 3GS unlocked by my carrier (Telus, in Canada) for use as a travel phone (not that I've had the occasion, but for $35, I figured it'd be worth it).

In the course of my research, I came across the fact that there was a so-called factory unlock (where iTunes let's you know that you know that you have an unlocked phone on reset), in which your IMEI is added to Apple's list of unlocked phones:
http://www.iphonehacks.com/2012/07/permanent-iphone-unlock.html/iphone-unlock-itunes-screen

This contrasts with the jailbreak unlocking, which, as the name suggests, will go away if you have to update the phone software.

Long story short, make sure it's an actual IMEI unlock, and confirm that it's worked!

Hi MLD :smile:

How things been going? Long time no see :wink: This is great. I came across the "Factory Unlock" and I am going to give it a go. I'll post back when I have some results.

Thanks again!

I enjoyed jailbreaking my 3gs. I now enjoy android much more.

1. Can I unlock an iPhone without the passcode?

Yes, it is possible to unlock an iPhone without the passcode. This can be done through various methods such as using the "Find My" feature, using iTunes, or resetting the device through recovery mode. However, it is important to note that these methods may result in the loss of data on the device.

2. Is unlocking an iPhone legal?

It is generally legal to unlock an iPhone, as long as it is not done with the intent of bypassing security measures or using the device for illegal activities. However, it is always recommended to check with your local laws and regulations before attempting to unlock an iPhone.

3. Can unlocking an iPhone damage the device?

If done correctly, unlocking an iPhone should not cause any damage to the device. However, there is always a risk of damaging the device if the wrong method is used or if the process is not followed properly. It is important to carefully research and follow the correct instructions when attempting to unlock an iPhone.

4. Will unlocking an iPhone void the warranty?

Unlocking an iPhone may void the warranty, as it is considered a modification to the device. However, some carriers and manufacturers may allow unlocking without voiding the warranty. It is best to check with your carrier or manufacturer before attempting to unlock your iPhone.

5. Can I unlock any iPhone model?

The ability to unlock an iPhone may vary depending on the model and carrier. Not all iPhone models can be unlocked, and some carriers may have restrictions in place for unlocking. It is important to check with your carrier and do thorough research before attempting to unlock your iPhone.