Computer Architecture for the Simple Mind

In summary, this person is looking for an introduction to modern electronics and computer hardware that is not too heavy or dense for a casual reader. He has some background in theoretical condensed matter physics and is looking for a resource that will help him understand the inner workings of modern electronics and computers. He mentions a few books and websites, but does not mention any specific titles.
ZombieFeynman
Gold Member
All,

Forgive me if this is not the right area of the forum, but it seems like it might reach the broadest audience here.

I am looking for an introduction to computer hardware (and perhaps more generally, modern electronics) for a scientist. I am looking for something beyond what one might find in a popular treatment, as I have read several and have always been left feeling unsatisfied. I am also not sure that a technical text for engineers is right either. I certainly don't have the time to devote to learning this full time, as this is only a recreational interest.

My background is in theoretical condensed matter physics, particularly strongly correlated electronic systems, topological insulators, and spin-orbit coupling in ultra cold atoms. I have very little lab experience (I picked up a summer as an undergraduate in an experimental group) and I have no formal training in electronics or instrumentation. I do have formal training in scientific programming, but this yields little to no insight into the inner workings of a machine. I am looking for a text that will satisfy my curiosity for delving deeper into the workings of modern electronics and computers, but likely don't have the time, inclination, or training to follow a rigorous text for practicing experts. If not a book, I suppose I could settle for lecture notes, websites, or other accounts if anyone is aware of some at the level I am looking for.

TL;DR: I am looking for a source on electronics and/or computer architecture for a simple minded theorist at the "goldilocks" level between popular science and formal text.

Technology news on Phys.org
ZombieFeynman said:
I am looking for a source on electronics and/or computer architecture for a simple minded theorist at the "goldilocks" level between popular science and formal text.

I'm not sure where the "goldilocks" level is :smile:, but I mention these sites/pdfs so you know they exist:

All About Circuits
http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/

Lessons In Electric Circuits
A free series of textbooks on the subjects of electricity and electronics
(Tony R. Kuphaldt)
(online and pdf:s available)
http://www.ibiblio.org/kuphaldt/electricCircuits/

Computer Organization and Design Fundamentals
by David Tarnoff
http://faculty.etsu.edu/tarnoff/138292/
(downloadable pdf:s)

I haven't used them myself though, since I've already got textbooks on electronics and computer technology (in Swedish).

1. What is computer architecture?

Computer architecture refers to the design and structure of a computer system, including its hardware components and how they interact to execute instructions and perform tasks.

2. Why is understanding computer architecture important?

Understanding computer architecture is important because it allows us to better understand how computers work and how to optimize their performance. It also helps in troubleshooting and designing more efficient and powerful computer systems.

3. What are the main components of a computer system?

The main components of a computer system include the central processing unit (CPU), memory (RAM), input/output devices (such as keyboard and mouse), and storage devices (such as hard drive and solid state drive).

4. What is the difference between von Neumann and Harvard architecture?

Von Neumann architecture is the traditional design of computer systems, where the CPU and memory share the same bus for data and instructions. Harvard architecture, on the other hand, utilizes separate buses for data and instructions, allowing for simultaneous access and faster processing.

5. How does computer architecture impact performance?

The design of a computer's architecture can greatly impact its performance. A well-designed architecture can lead to faster processing, efficient use of resources, and better overall performance. On the other hand, a poorly designed architecture can result in slower processing, bottlenecks, and decreased performance.