Quantum Computing: Isolating Atoms & Effects of EM Waves

In summary, QC requires atoms to be isolated in order to avoid data loss, but this is not always possible. There are various methods for overcoming the decoherence caused by environmental interaction.
alias25
QC requires atoms to be isolated? because the slightest disturbance can cause its state to be changed and data loss. Are the spin/ angular momentum etc. of a particle affected by em waves?
if there's quantum fluctuations in space, so u have virtual particles/energy swapping, and its impossible to reduce this to 0, doesn't that mean you can never get an isolated atom?

Physics news on Phys.org
alias25 said:
QC requires atoms to be isolated?
No, it does not.

I thought that any environmental interaction can cause the particles to decohere so QC doesn't work unless theyre isolated.

Did you mean that you need a system that's fairly isolated from surroundings or that you needed individual atoms? I thought you meant the latter.

The question of importance is "how long can we make the decoherence times?" I think typical values for some of the prospective systems are in the nanosecond range (or smaller, I'm not sure).

Last edited:
Gokul43201 said:
Did you mean that you need a system that's fairly isolated from surroundings or that you needed individual atoms? I thought you meant the latter.

The question of importance is "how long can we make the decoherence times?" I think typical values for some of the prospective systems are in the nanosecond range (or smaller, I'm not sure).

There's actually a huge range of deoherence times, >15 orders of magnitude. I googled up this table:
http://beige.ucs.indiana.edu/B679/node117.html

Ions in electromagnetic traps have macroscopic decoherence times, they're very well isolated. Nuclear dipoles interact so weakly that NMR qubits are coherent for on the order of ~10^4 seconds (essentially forever).

Last edited by a moderator:
Gokul43201 said:
The question of importance is "how long can we make the decoherence times?"

Just to add my two cents to this point..it is more about how many gate operations can be performed before the systems irrevocably decoheres.

The distinction being that (relatively) long decoherence times do not help if it also takes a (relatively) long time to perform an operation.

alias25 said:
QC requires atoms to be isolated? because the slightest disturbance can cause its state to be changed and data loss. Are the spin/ angular momentum etc. of a particle affected by em waves?
if there's quantum fluctuations in space, so u have virtual particles/energy swapping, and its impossible to reduce this to 0, doesn't that mean you can never get an isolated atom?

QC requires a well-isolated system, i.e. little coupling with the environment. But experimentally, that isolation is not perfect of course. However, decoherence can be "overcome" by error correction at the tradeoff of more qubits.

In NMR, the spin is controlled via emf tuned at the proper resonant frequencies, etc.. You should look up the Bloch sphere for information on this.

In QC processing, one has to control the qubit (ions, atoms, molecule ensemble, superconducting circuits, etc) and take measurements to get an answer. This inherently rules out a perfectly isolated qubit.

steve_o said:
QC requires a well-isolated system, i.e. little coupling with the environment. But experimentally, that isolation is not perfect of course. However, decoherence can be "overcome" by error correction at the tradeoff of more qubits.

In NMR, the spin is controlled via emf tuned at the proper resonant frequencies, etc.. You should look up the Bloch sphere for information on this.

In QC processing, one has to control the qubit (ions, atoms, molecule ensemble, superconducting circuits, etc) and take measurements to get an answer. This inherently rules out a perfectly isolated qubit.

Are their any means of performing checks to assure that decoherence is accounted for: an analogy would be, parity checks in a simple computer system, that allow for manipulation of erata in data sets.

You'll have to excuse my ignorance about Qcomputing on this one; in a broader sense I'm asking if we have yet found a way to make quantum computing a good prospect, or is it still in the realms of the hypothetical?

Schrodinger's Dog said:
Are their any means of performing checks to assure that decoherence is accounted for: an analogy would be, parity checks in a simple computer system, that allow for manipulation of erata in data sets.

You'll have to excuse my ignorance about Qcomputing on this one; in a broader sense I'm asking if we have yet found a way to make quantum computing a good prospect, or is it still in the realms of the hypothetical?

there is the repeat-until-success methodology of cluster states:

http://xxx.lanl.gov/abs/quant-ph/0508218

wait, don't atoms spontaneously decay? Wouldn't that be unproductive to data keeping? Or is there a method/technique? Or am I misunderstanding atoma?

1. What is quantum computing and how does it differ from classical computing?

Quantum computing is a type of computing that uses quantum-mechanical phenomena, such as superposition and entanglement, to perform operations on data. It differs from classical computing in that it utilizes the principles of quantum mechanics to process and store information, allowing for a much greater computational power compared to classical computers.

2. How does quantum computing isolate atoms?

Quantum computing uses techniques such as laser cooling and trapping to isolate individual atoms. In this process, lasers are used to slow down the movement of atoms, causing them to become trapped in a specific location. This allows for precise manipulation and measurement of the individual atoms, which is necessary for quantum computing to function.

3. What effects do electromagnetic waves have on atoms in quantum computing?

Electromagnetic waves play a crucial role in quantum computing as they are used to manipulate and control the state of individual atoms. By applying specific frequencies and intensities of electromagnetic waves, scientists can induce changes in the energy levels of atoms, allowing for operations to be performed on them.

4. How does quantum computing harness the power of entanglement?

Entanglement is a phenomenon in which two or more particles become correlated in a way that their states cannot be described independently. In quantum computing, entangled particles are used to store and process information, allowing for exponentially more calculations to be performed simultaneously compared to classical computers.

5. Can quantum computers solve problems that are impossible for classical computers?

Yes, quantum computers have the potential to solve problems that are impossible for classical computers due to their ability to perform operations on a much larger scale and utilize the principles of superposition and entanglement. This makes quantum computing particularly useful for complex simulations, optimization problems, and cryptography.