Career in Avionics: Qualifications for Software Field

• Thread starter Longhorn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Career
In summary, the poster is a 25-year-old mechanical engineer with a keen interest in avionics and aeronautical engineering. They have an HNC in mechanical engineering and electrical engineering, as well as a certification in PLC and network programming. They are currently halfway through a C++ programming course and are seeking advice on the recognized qualifications for pursuing a career in avionics with a focus on software. They are also looking for help from someone in the UK, as this forum is mostly US-based.
Longhorn
Hey all, this is my first post here:
I am 25 and live in Scotland UK and have a great interest in Avionics & Aeronautical Engineering, I am a Mechanical Engineer (Industrial) for 9 Years, I have an HNC in Mechanical Engineering and HNC in Electrical Engineering, i have a Siemens Certificate for PLC Programming & Profibus Network Programming and am half way through a C++ Programming Course.

My Question is what is the recognised qualifications if i wanted to pursue a career in Avionics working on a software field??

Thanks in advance

LH

Physics news on Phys.org
That's going to be a tough one to answer since I don't know of very many folks on this board who are from Scotland.

I used to do ME work for a company that did aftermarket repair work for the airline industry. We also had a group that rebuilt/repaired all sorts of avionics components as well as gyros. In this area, most people had the standard backgrounds in electronics and electrical engineering. A few had hands on experience working for OEM companys as well. The company was registered as an FAA repair station, not the individual workers, so if you are worried about having to hold some kind of certification, you're in the clear. Then again, Scotland may be a bit different. I can't say there. Hopefully someone is here from around your area. Good luck.

Cheers for the reply m8, realized that this was mostly a US forum but can't find a similar forum for UK, anyone from UK that can help further??

Thanks

LH

1. What is avionics and what role does software play in this field?

Avionics is the branch of engineering that deals with electronic systems used on aircraft, spacecraft, and satellites. Software is an integral part of avionics as it is responsible for controlling and managing various systems such as navigation, communication, and flight controls.

2. What are the educational qualifications required for a career in avionics software?

To pursue a career in avionics software, one typically needs a bachelor's degree in computer science, electrical or electronics engineering, or a related field. Some employers may also require a master's degree or relevant work experience.

3. What skills are necessary for a software career in avionics?

Apart from technical knowledge and expertise in programming languages and software development, a career in avionics software also requires critical thinking, problem-solving, attention to detail, and the ability to work in a team. Strong knowledge of aviation regulations and safety standards is also essential.

4. Are there any specific certifications or training programs for avionics software?

While there are no specific certifications for avionics software, some employers may prefer candidates with certifications in software development, avionics systems, or aviation safety. It is also beneficial to participate in training programs offered by avionics companies or organizations.

5. What are the job opportunities and growth prospects in the field of avionics software?

The demand for avionics software professionals is expected to grow in the coming years, as the aviation industry continues to advance and modernize. Job opportunities can be found in aerospace companies, avionics manufacturers, government agencies, and research institutions. With experience and advanced qualifications, one can also progress to managerial or leadership roles in the field.