What is the minimum applied force required to ball up a ramp?

• Thread starter biochemnerd
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ball
In summary: OK, so now I understand that you want to find the minimum force to move the ball up the ramp. You need to take into account the force of gravity, the force of friction, and the force you are trying to move the ball up. In this case, friction is the only force acting in the direction of the hill. The minimum force you need to move the ball up the ramp is 660N.
biochemnerd
View attachment ball up ramp.bmp

Homework Statement

1.A 75kg ball is dragged along a 12m ramp in order to get from the ground to the top of the ramp, which is 2m above ground. Determine the minimum applied force required if the frictional force acting on the ball (due to the ramp) is 75N.

m=75kg
d=12m
h=2m

Homework Equations

W=Fapp(d)
W=mgh

The Attempt at a Solution

*assuming no friction*:
W=mgh
w=75*9.8*2
W=1470 J (no friction)

...this is where I'm lost, i assume that the mass of the ball, and the fact that there is 75N have some correlation within the problem, but i think I've hit a rut.:confused: any ideas? (see attachment for diagram) any help is appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Why exactly did you find the work? Think about what you need to find.

i'm just not sure what to do, because i can't find the Fnet (theres no acceleration mentioned), and i don't know which equations to used in this circumstance.

should i assume that since the mass of the ball is 75kg, and the fricional forces is 75N, that anything over 75N will be the minimum applied force? I'm not very confident in the question.

biochemnerd said:
should i assume that since the mass of the ball is 75kg, and the fricional forces is 75N, that anything over 75N will be the minimum applied force? I'm not very confident in the question.

OK, that's the first step. Now, you have three forces acting on the ball. Friction, gravity, and the force which will move the ball up. Any ideas on how to proceed?

the fact that there is not acceleration means that the Fnet = 0

dvyu said:
the fact that there is not acceleration means that the Fnet = 0

You don't need to worry about acceleration.

You need to find the minimum force for which the system won't be in the state of equilibrium.

Think of the problem in terms of equilibrium.

ok, so, considering:
Ff=75N
Fn/Fg=735 N
Fapp=?

am i to add the forces up to get a Fnet, then find Fapp?(which i assume won't work, because Fg and Fn cancel out, so the Fnet would =75N, or that of friction). I'm not clear as to my next step should be.any hint?

biochemnerd said:
ok, so, considering:
Ff=75N
Fn/Fg=735 N
Fapp=?

am i to add the forces up to get a Fnet, then find Fapp?(which i assume won't work, because Fg and Fn cancel out, so the Fnet would =75N, or that of friction). I'm not clear as to my next step should be.any hint?

You're looking at the forces in the direction of the hill. You have friction, one component of gravity, and the force you need to find.

if it were a FBD, then Ff= -75N, so i can assume that as long as Fapp is greater than 75N (so it won't equal 0), then 76N is going to be sufficient? i don't know. :(

biochemnerd said:
if it were a FBD, then Ff= -75N, so i can assume that as long as Fapp is greater than 75N (so it won't equal 0), then 76N is going to be sufficient? i don't know. :(

Again, friction is not the only force. Your force has to be greater than the sum of friction and the component of gravity acting in the direction of friction.

Btw, 75.001 would be sufficient too, so you better use inequalities later on. :smile:

Ff+Fg=Fapp
(-75)+(735)=Fapp
Fapp=660N

i feel like I'm missing something. so Fapp must be greater than 660N?
should i look at friction as Kinetic Friction? aaah

biochemnerd said:
Ff+Fg=Fapp
(-75)+(735)=Fapp
Fapp=660N

i feel like I'm missing something. so Fapp must be greater than 660N?
should i look at friction as Kinetic Friction? aaah

You're considering gravity wrong. You should take the component Fg*sin(A), where A is the angle between the hill and the horizontal ground.

1. What is the force acting on a ball as it rolls up a ramp?

The force acting on a ball as it rolls up a ramp is the force of gravity pulling the ball downwards and the normal force from the ramp pushing the ball upwards. These two forces are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction, resulting in a net force of zero.

2. How does the angle of the ramp affect the force required to roll a ball up?

The steeper the angle of the ramp, the greater the force required to roll a ball up. This is because the steeper angle increases the component of the force of gravity pulling the ball down the ramp, making it more difficult for the normal force to counteract it.

3. What is the relationship between the height of the ramp and the potential energy of the ball?

The higher the ramp, the greater the potential energy of the ball at the top of the ramp. This is because the higher ramp provides a greater height for the ball to gain potential energy as it rolls up against the force of gravity.

4. How does friction affect the movement of a ball up a ramp?

Friction between the ramp and the ball can slow down the movement of the ball up the ramp. This is because friction acts in the opposite direction of motion, causing the ball to lose some of its energy as heat. In order to overcome this frictional force, a greater amount of force must be applied to the ball.

5. What is the difference between rolling and sliding motion on a ramp?

In rolling motion, the ball is in contact with the ramp at all times and does not experience any sudden changes in velocity. In sliding motion, the ball loses contact with the ramp and may experience a change in velocity due to gravity or other forces. Rolling motion is more efficient and requires less force compared to sliding motion.