Uninstalling Internet Explorer

• Thread starter ahrkron
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Internet
In summary: You should install something like this, Nereid. Spybot is great, but it's not infallible. Originally posted by ahrkron Not to be condescending, but I rarely get spyware: you must learn how to avoid it. Some tips:-Never hit "yes," "no," "cancel," etc. in a popup: its a trick. Close every popup with the "X" in the upper right corner or right click it in your taskbar and click "close."-Never allow software to be installed on your computer by a website unless you are absolutely certain of what it is.-Be very careful installing shareware
ahrkron
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Does anyone know if there is a way to get rid of IE in Windows XP? I'm just all fed up with the pop up ads.

I installed Mozilla and it rarely pops up any ad windows. I'm very happy with it. However, Microsoft IE still gets activated somehow (even whithout it being used to display any website) and brings up ads anyway. I tried simply deleting a file from "Program Files", but XP notices and brings it back! (am I cursed or something? :smile:)

Or, if anyone knows how to edit the registry to get rid of whatever is bringing up this ads, that'd be as good.

Computer science news on Phys.org
I think it can be done. I had a similar problem with Media Player 9 (hate it), and I ended up having to execute some kind of command line .dll in order to get rid of it.

Your best bet is probably to google for something like that. I'd do a little looking myself, but I'm already busy trying to fix my brother's computer. It used to have two operating systems, and now it somehow has zero!

Edit: Make that from two hard drives and two operating systems to one hard drive and zero operating systems.

cookiemonster

Last edited:
You can't remove internet explorer. Your file manager is dependent on it.

Is it? That's too bad.

cookiemonster

Originally posted by dduardo
You can't remove internet explorer. Your file manager is dependent on it.

As cookiemonster said, too bad!

Is there other way to inhibit the ads? I'm thinking of reinstalling windows, so that there is no remnant of any program that activates them. I'm even considering formatting the hard drive. Is there an easier way? Is this even worth the try? I've heard people saying that it is "healthy" to reinstall windows once in a while.

Originally posted by ahrkron
As cookiemonster said, too bad!

Is there other way to inhibit the ads? I'm thinking of reinstalling windows, so that there is no remnant of any program that activates them. I'm even considering formatting the hard drive. Is there an easier way? Is this even worth the try? I've heard people saying that it is "healthy" to reinstall windows once in a while.

I reinstall a clean ghost image I have of XP almost monthly. ahrkron I thought you used linux? mozilla firefox is an awesome browser, I don't see why IE opens, sure you have firefox as the default browser? What kind of ads are you talking about? Maybe you have some spyware and need to download spybot.

Originally posted by Greg Bernhardt
I reinstall a clean ghost image I have of XP almost monthly. ahrkron I thought you used linux? mozilla firefox is an awesome browser, I don't see why IE opens, sure you have firefox as the default browser? What kind of ads are you talking about? Maybe you have some spyware and need to download spybot.

I have linux in my "main" machine, but XP at home. How did you prepare the ghost image of XP? What does it overwrite when you reinstall it?

I have Mozilla as my default browser in XP. I'll take a look at spybot.

I have linux in my "main" machine, but XP at home. How did you prepare the ghost image of XP? What does it overwrite when you reinstall it?

I have Mozilla as my default browser in XP. I'll take a look at spybot.
Be prepared for some, shall we say, 'interesting' results from the first time you run spybot; best that you're sitting down :wink:

Wow! 505 $%&$ "bad guys" were detected. And there are over 12 thousand known ones. Ptuaj!

Is that what you meant, Nereid?

Thanks for the tip, Greg! I should have installed something like this long ago.

Wow! 505 $%&$ "bad guys" were detected. And there are over 12 thousand known ones. Ptuaj!

Is that what you meant, Nereid?

Thanks for the tip, Greg! I should have installed something like this long ago.
That's way more than what Spybot found on my PC ahrkron. However, two things I was shocked by were a) where did all these come from?? and b) four instances of a security hole in IE (or was it XP?) - and here's me diligently installing every Windows patch as soon as they're announced!

Not to be condescending, but I rarely get spyware: you must learn how to avoid it. Some tips:

-Never hit "yes," "no," "cancel," etc. in a popup: its a trick. Close every popup with the "X" in the upper right corner or right click it in your taskbar and click "close."

-Never allow software to be installed on your computer by a website unless you are absolutely certain of what it is.

-Be very careful installing shareware/freeware software. Much of it today is ad-supported. READ THE FINE PRINT.

-(spam) Never give your real email address to a website unless you want them to contact you. For example, when downloading many shareware programs, the sites will ask for your email address: give a fake.

where do you get spybot? this machine I am on I know is infected go one called sysupd.exe that is, so far, unremovable, even re-installs itself into the run line, in the registry, seconds after I delete it...Oye! they go after this computer...

Originally posted by Mr. Robin Parsons
where do you get spybot? this machine I am on I know is infected go one called sysupd.exe that is, so far, unremovable, even re-installs itself into the run line, in the registry, seconds after I delete it...Oye! they go after this computer...

http://download.com.com/3000-2144-10194058.html?tag=lst-0-1

oh and great tips russ, I basicly live by them

Hey Spybot! Coool

Thanks! if I can get the time I'll put the "download permission key" back in place, and try it out...

Keep IE around. Yeah, it sucks. But there will be the occassional Web page that only works with IE.

What is the process for uninstalling Internet Explorer?

To uninstall Internet Explorer, you will need to go to the Control Panel on your computer and select "Programs and Features." Then, click on "Turn Windows features on or off" and uncheck the box next to "Internet Explorer." Click "OK" and then restart your computer. This will completely remove Internet Explorer from your system.

If I uninstall Internet Explorer, will I still be able to use the internet?

Yes, uninstalling Internet Explorer will not prevent you from accessing the internet. There are other browsers available, such as Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox, that you can use to browse the internet.

Why would someone want to uninstall Internet Explorer?

There are a few reasons why someone might want to uninstall Internet Explorer. Some people may prefer to use a different browser, while others may want to free up space on their computer. Additionally, newer versions of Windows often come with Microsoft Edge as the default browser, making Internet Explorer unnecessary.

Can I reinstall Internet Explorer after uninstalling it?

Yes, you can reinstall Internet Explorer if you change your mind. Simply go back to the "Turn Windows features on or off" section in the Control Panel and check the box next to "Internet Explorer." Then, click "OK" and restart your computer. Internet Explorer will be reinstalled.

Will uninstalling Internet Explorer cause any problems with my computer?

No, uninstalling Internet Explorer should not cause any problems with your computer. However, it is always recommended to create a system restore point before making any major changes to your system, just in case any issues arise.