Linearizing quadratic equation

In summary, the conversation discusses how to linearize the equation d=vit + 1/2at^2 into different formats, including d/t^2 vs 1/t, t/d vs t^2/d, and 1/d vs 1/t. The goal is to manipulate the equation into the form y=mx+b and determine which variables alternate and which remain constant. The process involves letting y = d/t^2 and x = 1/t, and then making substitutions and manipulating the formulas to create linear graphs.
daewoo

Homework Statement

basically I am suppose to linearize d=vit + 1/2at^2 into d/t^2 vs 1/t, t/d vs t^2/d and 1/d vs 1/t
and its asking which graphs would be linear and non-linear.

Homework Equations

d=vit + 1/2at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

all i know is that in order to linearize this i need to make it into the format y=mx+b from there i can see which variables alternate and which remain constant.
now I am confused on how I am suppose to get d/t^2 vs 1/t for the first one so i started to solve for t but i ended up needing to use the quadratic equation since its ax^2 + bx + c=0 but that really didnt help me since i coudlnt isolate "d" again. So basically I am kinda lost on how to manipulate this formula.

Physics news on Phys.org
For the first part, I'd let y = d/t^2, let x = 1/t. Can you get the d and t equation into an equation with y and x... substitute appropriately and manipulate the formulas.

If you divide the equation by t^2 you get

[tex]\frac{d}{t^2} = \frac{v_i}{t} + \frac{1}{2}a[/tex]

If you wanted that against 1/t, basically make x a substitution of 1/t, you would have a graph that looked pretty linear with a slope of vi.

Do you see how it works?

What is linearizing a quadratic equation?

Linearizing a quadratic equation means rewriting a quadratic equation in its equivalent linear form. This can be done by using substitution, completing the square, or using the quadratic formula.

Why is it important to linearize a quadratic equation?

Linearizing a quadratic equation can make it easier to solve and work with in certain situations. For example, linear equations are easier to graph and analyze than quadratic equations.

What are the different methods for linearizing a quadratic equation?

The three main methods for linearizing a quadratic equation are substitution, completing the square, and using the quadratic formula.

Can any quadratic equation be linearized?

Yes, any quadratic equation can be linearized using one of the three methods mentioned above. However, some methods may be more suitable for certain equations than others.

What are some real-life applications of linearizing quadratic equations?

Linearizing quadratic equations can be useful in a variety of fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, in physics, linearizing equations can help model the motion of objects under the force of gravity. In economics, linearizing equations can help analyze supply and demand curves.