Measures of Central Tendency & t-86

• Thread starter kuahji
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of technology in a statistics course and the need for help with using a TI-86 calculator. The individual is able to calculate the mean and standard deviation by hand, but struggles with inputting data in the TI-86 calculator. They eventually figure out that the classes and frequencies need to be entered in the xstat and fstat sections, respectively, to get the correct results.
kuahji
The statistics course I'm taking is a technology based course, & goes hand in hand with the ti-83. I happened to have a ti-86 & need some help.

I understand how to calculate the mean by hand & by the calculator for most circumstances. What I don't is when there are classes, for example

Class Frequency
10-19 8
20-29 16
30-39 21
40-49 11
50-59 4

Now, I can compute the approximate mean by hand with the formula in the book. The answer gives a mean = 32.83 & a standard deviation = 11.06. The answer checks with the back of the book. How can I place this information into the ti-86 & get the same results?

Physics news on Phys.org
You will have to enter a list. To solve the following problem, Enter a list of 8 15s 16 25s 21 35s etc. Then you can pull all the 1-Var Stats of this list. It should give you the proper mean, and variance.

Thanks for the help, what actually happened was I was getting the xstat & ystat mixed up with fstat... The classes as you pointed had to be placed in the xstat & then the frequency in the fstat. Seems kinda silly, not sure why I didn't get it before.

1. What are measures of central tendency?

Measures of central tendency refer to statistical techniques used to summarize or describe a set of data by identifying a single value that represents the center or average of the data. The most commonly used measures of central tendency are the mean, median, and mode.

2. How do you calculate the mean?

The mean, also known as the average, is calculated by adding all the values in a data set and dividing by the total number of values. For example, if we have the data set {2, 4, 6, 8}, the mean would be (2+4+6+8)/4 = 5.

3. What is the median?

The median is the middle value in a data set when the values are arranged in ascending or descending order. If there is an even number of values, the median is calculated by taking the average of the two middle values. For example, in the data set {2, 4, 6, 8}, the median would be (4+6)/2 = 5.

4. When is the mode useful?

The mode is useful for identifying the most frequently occurring value in a data set. It is particularly useful for categorical data, such as survey responses, where we are interested in finding the most common response. In some cases, there may be multiple modes or no mode at all in a data set.

5. How is the t-86 used in statistics?

The t-86 is a statistical test used to determine whether there is a significant difference between the means of two groups. It is often used in place of the z-test when the sample size is small or when the population standard deviation is unknown. The t-86 test calculates a t-value, which is then compared to a critical value to determine whether the difference between the two means is statistically significant.