Every sequence of bounded functions that is uniformly converent is uniformly bounded

In summary, the problem asks to prove that every sequence of bounded functions that is uniformly convergent is uniformly bounded. This means that for every n, there exists a number Mn such that |fn(x)| < Mn, and there also exists a number M such that for all n, |fn(x)| < M. It is important to note that |f(x)| < infinity does not mean the function is bounded. The proof involves showing that for e = 1, |f(x)| < 1 + M(N+1), and since for n >= N, the function is uniformly bounded, we have |f(x)| < 1 + M(N+1). Therefore, |f(x)| is bounded.
rumjum

Homework Statement

Prove that every sequence of bounded functions that is uniformly convergent is uniformly bounded.

Homework Equations

Let {fn} be the sequence of functions and it converges to f. Then for all n >= N, and all x, we have |fn -f| <= e (for all e >0). ---------- (1)

The Attempt at a Solution

This problem is from Rudin, 7.1. I am not clear about the part of "bounded function sequence".
But I suppose this is what I is meant.

|fn(x)| < Mn. , n = 1,2,3...

Also, I am unsure if f(x) (to which the sequene converges is bounded or not). That is is |f(x)| < some real number for all x. I suppose yes. But not sure. Here is my solution anyways.

=> |f1(x)| < M1,
|f2(x)| < M2, ...
|fN-1(x)| < M(N-1).

Also, let e =1 in (1), then n >= N implies that |fn-f| <=1

Hene, for n >=N and for all x , we have |fn| <= |fn-f| + |f| = |f| +1

Now, let M = max {M1,M2,...M(N-1), 1 +|f|}. for all x, where M is a real number.

If I can somehow state that |f|+1 is bounded, then for all n and for all x

|fn(x)| < M. Hence, the sequence is uniformly bounded.

I guess I can safely assume that |f(x)| < infinity for all x. Because
|fn(x)| < Mn. for all n.

Hence, lim (n->infinity) |fn(x)| < infinity for else for some n >N, we shall have an unbounded function in the sequence. But for lim(n->infinity) |fn(x)| = |f(x)|. Hence, |f(x)| < infinity and so is bounded.

Can someone verify? Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The most important clue here is uniform convergence.
Without that property, the theorem isn't true.

I'll look over your proof later on, if necessary.

Since you were wondering about "sequence of bounded functions" (yes, for every n, there exist number Mn such that |fn(x)|< Mn), as you clear on "uniformly bounded"? That simply means that "there exist an number M such that, for all n, |fn(x)|< M". That is, that you can choose a single number M rather than a different Mn for each n.

Notice that this does NOT ask you to prove anything about the limit of the sequence- and, in particular, |f(x)|< infinity does NOT mean the function is bounded! The simple function f(x)= x satisfies the condition that |f(x)|< infinity, but is not a bounded function.

HallsofIvy said:
Notice that this does NOT ask you to prove anything about the limit of the sequence- and, in particular, |f(x)|< infinity does NOT mean the function is bounded! The simple function f(x)= x satisfies the condition that |f(x)|< infinity, but is not a bounded function.

That is an important point that you brought up. Thanks, for that. I solved the problem by showing that |f(x)| < M(N+1)+1 for e=1 and |fn| < Mn. And, since for n >=N, the function is uniformly bounded, we have |f(x)| < 1 + M(N+1). Henc,e |f(x)| is bounded.

Thanks, again.

HallsofIvy said:
Since you were wondering about "sequence of bounded functions" (yes, for every n, there exist number Mn such that |fn(x)|< Mn), as you clear on "uniformly bounded"? That simply means that "there exist an number M such that, for all n, |fn(x)|< M". That is, that you can choose a single number M rather than a different Mn for each n.

That is an important point that you brought up. Thanks, for that. I solved the problem by showing that |f(x)| < M(N+1)+1 for e=1 and |fn| < Mn. And, since for n >=N, the function is uniformly bounded, we have |f(x)| < 1 + M(N+1). Henc,e |f(x)| is bounded.

Thanks, again.

1. What does it mean for a sequence of bounded functions to be uniformly convergent?

A sequence of bounded functions is uniformly convergent if for any given value of x, the sequence of function values approaches the same limit value as the number of terms in the sequence increases.

2. What is the significance of a sequence being uniformly convergent and uniformly bounded?

A sequence that is both uniformly convergent and uniformly bounded has a limit function that is continuous and defined for all values of x. This makes it easier to analyze and work with the sequence, as it is well-behaved and predictable.

3. How can one prove that a sequence of bounded functions is uniformly bounded?

To prove that a sequence of bounded functions is uniformly bounded, one can use the definition of uniform convergence and show that for any given value of x, the sequence of function values stays within a certain range. This can be done using the Cauchy criterion or the Weierstrass M-test.

4. Can a sequence of uniformly convergent functions be unbounded?

No, a sequence of uniformly convergent functions cannot be unbounded. This is because uniform convergence implies that the sequence approaches a limit function, and an unbounded function does not have a well-defined limit at certain values of x.

5. How does the concept of uniform convergence relate to the concept of pointwise convergence?

Uniform convergence is a stronger form of convergence compared to pointwise convergence. While pointwise convergence only guarantees that the function values at each point approach the limit value, uniform convergence ensures that the sequence of function values approaches the same limit value for all points. Therefore, a sequence of uniformly convergent functions is also pointwise convergent, but the converse is not always true.