Dy/dx as Fraction: A-Level Maths/Further Maths Explanation

• Thread starter barnaby
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fraction
In summary: IS a number. so fractions do make sense and have numbers as values, as long as the top and bottom of the fraction are vectors in the same "line".In summary, the Chain Rule works as though something is being canceled when it is actually just the values of differentials being added together.
barnaby
I started calculus in September (as part of A-Level Maths/Further Maths), and we've been told time after time not to look at derivatives as fractions.

We recently did the Chain Rule, and we were told that a way to remember it was that if dy/dx = dy/du * du/dx, then the 'du's 'cancel out' - which flies in the face of not looking at derivatives as fractions. My teacher then told us that we would eventually see how derivatives could be treated like fractions...

How and why can we do this?

Physics news on Phys.org
barnaby said:
I started calculus in September (as part of A-Level Maths/Further Maths), and we've been told time after time not to look at derivatives as fractions.
Remember that a "fraction" is a relation between two NUMBERS.
Since you cannot regard "dx" and "dy" as numbers, it follows that the symbol dx/dy cannot be regarded as a fraction.

arildno said:
Remember that a "fraction" is a relation between two NUMBERS.
Since you cannot regard "dx" and "dy" as numbers, it follows that the symbol dx/dy cannot be regarded as a fraction.
Actually, dx and dy are infinitesimal numbers, so it follows that the symbol dy/dx can be regarded as a fraction. Furthermore, it is not a coincidence that the chain rule works as though something is being canceled...because something is being canceled.

See, for example, chapter 2 of
http://www.math.wisc.edu/~keisler/foundations.pdf

actually dy and dx are differentials, i.e. sections of a certain line bundle, hence functions whose values are elements of a one dimensional vector space. now as long as a vector w is non zero, the quotient v/w of two vectors in a one dimensional vector space IS a number. so fractions do make sense and have numbers as values, as long as the top and bottom of the fraction are vectors in the same "line".

there is actually a good, elementary explanation of differentials in the beginning of the classic diff eq book by tanenbaum and pollard.

mathwonk said:
actually dy and dx are differentials, i.e. sections of a certain line bundle, hence functions whose values are elements of a one dimensional vector space..

...that one dimensional space being the hyperreals, to be more specific, which is what I said.

What is the definition of dy/dx as a fraction?

The notation dy/dx represents the derivative of a function y with respect to the variable x. It is also known as the "differential quotient" and is used to express the instantaneous rate of change of a function.

How do you calculate dy/dx as a fraction?

To calculate dy/dx, you need to use the rules of differentiation. For a function f(x), the derivative is given by the limit as h approaches 0 of [f(x+h) - f(x)]/h. This can be simplified to [f(x+h) - f(x)]/h = [f'(x)] when h is equal to 0.

What are the applications of dy/dx as a fraction?

Dy/dx is used in many areas of mathematics and science, including calculus, physics, engineering, and economics. It is used to find the slope of a curve at a specific point, to calculate rates of change and to optimize functions.

What is the difference between dy/dx and Δy/Δx?

Dy/dx represents the derivative of a function, which is the instantaneous rate of change at a specific point. Δy/Δx, on the other hand, represents the average rate of change between two points. As the distance between the two points gets smaller, Δy/Δx approaches dy/dx.

How does dy/dx relate to the gradient of a curve?

The gradient of a curve is equal to the value of dy/dx at a specific point. This means that the gradient of a curve changes as the value of dy/dx changes. It also means that dy/dx is a measure of the slope of a curve at any given point.