Historical Figures Who Changed the World

• Thread starter pitot-tube
  • Start date
In summary, Julius Caesar is better than Karl Marx because he was a significant figure in ancient Rome who changed something for the better.

Deserve to be famous?

• julius caesar

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • franklyn d. roosevelt

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • joan of arc

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • cleopatra

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • general douglas mcarthur

• karl marx

• ludwig van beethoven

• martin luther king

• queen elizabeth 1st of england

• queen isabella of spain

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
pitot-tube
Which of the following historical figures do you
think did something positive for the world - changed something for the better that no one else was likely to change?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The left one.

Are you making all these silly polls for some class project? I think youre pushing it with these never ending slew of polls.

PF users love polls. I liked the poll asking if you have ever responded to a poll. An even better question might have been "would you ever respond to a poll?" I wonder how many people would answer "No".

All the poll options are already well known! :confused:

These polls don't even make any sense. You are comparing apples and oranges here.

These people cover a vast range, how can you compare Beethoven to Karl Marx?

Evo said:
These people cover a vast range, how can you compare Beethoven to Karl Marx?

The idea is that you think about what sort of person most impresses you.

pitot-tube said:
The idea is that you think about what sort of person most impresses you.
That would vary by category.

It's a toss up between Gutenberg and Columbus.

Evo said:
PF users love polls. I liked the poll asking if you have ever responded to a poll. An even better question might have been "would you ever respond to a poll?" I wonder how many people would answer "No".

I think it was "Do you answer polls?" That was one of my threads wayyy back.

I think I need to create another poll. Something about fish.

Math Is Hard said:
I think it was "Do you answer polls?" That was one of my threads wayyy back.
Yes! I thought it was hysterical, if you responded, then you couldn't say no.

I think I need to create another poll. Something about fish.
I think you should. :biggrin:

Cyrus said:
These polls don't even make any sense. You are comparing apples and oranges here.

I thought so also, but I picked Caesar anyway. I don't know how he became emperor since he was basically the Ralph Nader of ancient Rome.

Really, all of the candidates were historically significant. Good or bad, they shaped what our society is today. I have to vote for all or none, and since I'm too lazy to click that many buttons...

fourier jr said:
I thought so also, but I picked Caesar anyway. I don't know how he became emperor since he was basically the Ralph Nader of ancient Rome.
Ok, now you have to write a 10 page report on why Julius Caesar is better than each of the others mentioned.

1. Who are some famous historical figures who changed the world?

Some famous historical figures who changed the world include Albert Einstein, Mahatma Gandhi, Martin Luther King Jr., Marie Curie, and Nelson Mandela. These individuals made significant contributions in areas such as science, peace and nonviolence, civil rights, and equality.

2. How did these historical figures change the world?

These historical figures changed the world through their actions, ideas, and leadership. For example, Albert Einstein revolutionized our understanding of physics with his theory of relativity, while Mahatma Gandhi inspired a nonviolent movement for independence in India. Through their contributions, these individuals left a lasting impact on society.

3. What challenges did these historical figures face?

Many of these historical figures faced challenges and obstacles in their pursuit of change. For instance, Marie Curie faced discrimination as a female scientist and Nelson Mandela spent 27 years in prison for his activism. Despite these challenges, they persevered and continued to make a difference in the world.

4. What lessons can we learn from these historical figures?

There are many valuable lessons we can learn from these historical figures. They teach us the importance of determination, perseverance, and standing up for what we believe in. They also remind us that one person can make a significant impact and inspire others to create change.

5. How can we continue the legacies of these historical figures?

We can continue the legacies of these historical figures by learning about their lives and contributions, and by applying their teachings and values to our own actions. We can also support causes and organizations that align with their beliefs and continue to spread their messages of peace, equality, and progress.