What is the kinetic energy of an electron with a wavelength of 0.850 x 10^-10 m?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the kinetic energy of an electron with a measured wavelength of 0.850 x 10^-10 m. Various equations are suggested, including E = hc/\lambda and K=1/2MV^{2}, but ultimately the concept of de Broglie wavelength is mentioned as the solution.
Cowtipper

Homework Statement

If an electron has a measured wavelength of 0.850 x 10^-10 m, what is its kinetic energy?

Homework Equations

I'm not sure.

The Attempt at a Solution

And once again, I'm not too sure. Where do I start?

Physics news on Phys.org
Find an equation in your textbook that deals with the wavelength of electrons or particles in general. That would be a start.

Well, I've got this:

I'm not sure if it's one to use.

E = hc/[tex]\lambda[/tex]

Similarly, I have this one:

K=1/2MV[tex]^{2}[/tex]

However, I'm not sure where or how to use it in this instance, or if I have to use it at all.

Man, this stuff is getting tough. I was doing well there for a while too...

Cowtipper said:
Well, I've got this:

I'm not sure if it's one to use.

E = hc/[tex]\lambda[/tex]

No, this equation will not work. Look back in your notes and try to figure out why.

Look up "de Broglie wavelength."

hage567 said:
No, this equation will not work. Look back in your notes and try to figure out why.

Look up "de Broglie wavelength."

Aha! That is all I needed to know.

Thanks a lot!

1. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its motion. It is defined as the work needed to accelerate a body of a given mass from rest to its stated velocity.

2. How is the kinetic energy of an electron different from that of a larger object?

The kinetic energy of an electron is different from that of a larger object because it is influenced by its mass and velocity. Electrons have a very small mass compared to larger objects, and their high velocity contributes to a much greater kinetic energy.

3. How is kinetic energy related to an electron's speed?

Kinetic energy and an electron's speed are directly proportional. This means that as an electron's speed increases, its kinetic energy also increases. This relationship is described by the equation KE = 1/2 mv^2, where m is the mass of the electron and v is its velocity.

4. How does temperature affect the kinetic energy of electrons?

Temperature affects the kinetic energy of electrons by increasing their speed. As temperature increases, the average speed of electrons in a substance also increases, leading to a higher kinetic energy. This is why materials become more conductive at higher temperatures.

5. Can the kinetic energy of an electron be changed?

Yes, the kinetic energy of an electron can be changed. It can be increased by accelerating the electron through an electric field or by increasing its temperature. It can also be decreased by slowing down the electron's speed or by cooling it down.