Orbital angular momentum operator

In summary, the conversation revolved around a question about the momentum operator in Sakurai's "modern quantum mechanics" on page 196. The question was why applying the operator to an eigenket resulted in | x-yd\phi,y+xd\phi,z \rangle instead of | x+yd\phi,y-xd\phi,z \rangle. The expert provides a detailed calculation showing that the latter answer is correct, but notes a discrepancy when considering the quantum mechanical operator for an infinitesimal rotation around the z-axis.
Laura08
Hello, sorry I am new to this forum, I hope I found the right category. I have a question about the momentum operator as in Sakurai's "modern quantum mechanics" on p. 196

If I let

[tex] 1-\frac{i}{\hbar} d\phi L_{z} = 1-\frac{i}{\hbar} d\phi (xp_{y}-yp_{x})[/tex]

act on an eigenket [itex]| x,y,z \rangle [/itex]

why do I get [itex]| x-yd\phi,y+xd\phi,z \rangle [/itex]

and not [itex]| x+yd\phi,y-xd\phi,z \rangle [/itex] ,

with the momentum operators

[tex] p_{x}=\frac{\hbar}{i}\frac{\partial}{\partial x} , p_{y}=\frac{\hbar}{i}\frac{\partial}{\partial y}[/tex]

Thanks for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
can you show us why you think that would yeild:

[itex]| x+yd\phi,y-xd\phi,z \rangle [/itex]

?

I just use the operator on each component:

[tex] [1-\frac{i}{\hbar} d\phi (xp_{y}-yp_{x})] | x,y,z \rangle =[/tex]

[tex] [1-d\phi (x \frac{\partial}{\partial y}-y \frac{\partial}{\partial x})] | x,y,z \rangle =[/tex]

[tex] |x-d\phi (x \frac{\partial x}{\partial y}-y \frac{\partial x}{\partial x}),y-d\phi (x \frac{\partial y}{\partial y}-y \frac{\partial y}{\partial x}),z-d\phi (x \frac{\partial z}{\partial y}-y \frac{\partial z}{\partial x}) \rangle =[/tex]

[tex] |x-d\phi (0-y),y-d\phi (x-0),z-d\phi (0-0) \rangle =[/tex]

[tex] | x+yd\phi,y-xd\phi,z \rangle [/tex]

Isn't that the correct answer?

Well, I think the calculation is correct, but then I did a backwards rotation, which I didn't intend to do.
The rotation matrix for an infinitesimal rotation about the z-axis is (if I rotate the vector, not the system)

[tex]
R_{z}(d\phi) = \left(\begin{array}{ccc}
1 & -d\phi & 0\\
d\phi & 1 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 1 \end{array}\right), R_{z}(d\phi)^{-1} = \left(\begin{array}{ccc}
1 & d\phi & 0\\
-d\phi & 1 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 1 \end{array}\right)[/tex]

So [tex] | x+yd\phi,y-xd\phi,z \rangle [/tex] = [tex] R_{z}(d\phi)^{-1}| x,y,z \rangle [/tex]

Yet if you try to determine the quantum mechanical operator for an infinitesimal rotation around the z-axis, starting with

[tex]\hat{R}| x,y,z \rangle = | x-yd\phi,y+xd\phi,z \rangle [/tex]

(as done e.g. here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotation_operator" , you find

[tex]\hat{R} = 1-\frac{i}{\hbar} d\phi L_{z}[/tex]

And then inserting this result for [itex]\hat{R}[/itex] leads me back to my problem...

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the Orbital Angular Momentum Operator?

The Orbital Angular Momentum Operator is a mathematical operator used in quantum mechanics to describe the angular momentum of a particle in an orbital motion around a point or axis. It is denoted by the symbol L.

2. How is the Orbital Angular Momentum Operator defined?

The Orbital Angular Momentum Operator is defined as the cross product of the position vector (r) and the momentum vector (p) of a particle, multiplied by the imaginary unit (i). Mathematically, it can be represented as L = r x p x i.

3. What are the properties of the Orbital Angular Momentum Operator?

The Orbital Angular Momentum Operator has several properties, including being Hermitian (equal to its own complex conjugate), commutative (when acting on different particles), and having quantized eigenvalues (values that can be measured). It also obeys the angular momentum commutation relation with the Spin Operator.

4. How is the Orbital Angular Momentum Operator used in quantum mechanics?

The Orbital Angular Momentum Operator is used to calculate the angular momentum of a particle in an orbital motion. It is an important operator in the Schrödinger equation, which describes the behavior of quantum particles, and is also used in the study of atomic and molecular structure.

5. What is the physical significance of the Orbital Angular Momentum Operator?

The Orbital Angular Momentum Operator has physical significance in that it describes the rotational motion of a particle in quantum mechanics. It is a fundamental quantity in the study of angular momentum and plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level.