General Chemistry: by Linus Paulings?

In summary, the conversation discusses the suitability of Linus Pauling's General Chemistry book for a 16-year-old seeking a high school level understanding of chemistry. While the book is highly comprehensive and targeted towards college students, it may be overwhelming for someone with a limited background in calculus and physics. Alternatively, Zumdahl's book is recommended for an AP level understanding and can also serve as a reference book. For a quick and affordable option, the suggestion of using Spark Charts from Barnes and Noble is also mentioned.
ducnguyen2000
I've been promulgating my knowledge of chemistry from this book. I'm 16 and am wondering if this book will give me a high school level understandings of chemistry.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have a copy of Linus Pauling's General Chemistry in my house (3rd edition). It is far beyond "high school level understanding of chemistry". The book assumes that you know a good amount of calculus and physics, so even some of the general chemistry students at colleges might consider this text to be difficult, even the book is targeted for those students.

So if you'd like to take a challenge, go for it. But if all you need is to understand high school chemistry, this is bit of an overdose.

Pauling might be a bit much for you.

Zumdahl is good for an AP level. It might be a bit confusing if you've never taken Chem, but if you're up for the challenge then more power to you. It also serves as a good reference book.

Otherwise super quick reading and little money, go to your local Barnes and Noble and grab one of those Spark Charts. It saved my arse in my high school chem class.

What is the book "General Chemistry" about?

The book "General Chemistry" by Linus Pauling is a comprehensive textbook that covers the fundamentals of chemistry, including topics such as atomic structure, chemical bonding, thermodynamics, and kinetics.

Who is Linus Pauling?

Linus Pauling was an American chemist, biochemist, and peace activist who is widely regarded as one of the most influential scientists of the 20th century. He is known for his work in the fields of quantum chemistry, molecular biology, and medicine.

What makes "General Chemistry" by Linus Pauling a popular textbook?

"General Chemistry" by Linus Pauling is a popular textbook because of its clear and concise explanations of complex topics, its numerous examples and practice problems, and its emphasis on the practical applications of chemistry in everyday life.

Is "General Chemistry" suitable for beginners?

Yes, "General Chemistry" by Linus Pauling is suitable for beginners as it starts with the basic concepts and gradually builds upon them. However, some prior knowledge of chemistry and mathematics is helpful in understanding the material.

Are there any other notable features of "General Chemistry" by Linus Pauling?

Yes, "General Chemistry" by Linus Pauling includes color illustrations, clear diagrams, and tables to aid in understanding the concepts. It also provides historical background and real-world examples to make the subject more interesting and relevant to readers.