Magnetic field/simple current loop

In summary, the strength of the magnetic field at any point in the xy plane is inversely proportional to the squared distance from the current loop, which is centered at the origin and tilted 90 degrees. To calculate the total field, the contribution of each current can be found separately by finding the vector perpendicular to the vector from the point to the current and making its magnitude equal to 1/(distance to the current)^2. However, for a finite loop, the calculation becomes more complicated and requires the use of elliptic functions. The magnetic scalar potential, which is equivalent to the solid angle subtended by the current loop, can also be used to find the magnetic field. In the absence of any currents, the scalar potential is single-val
granpa
given a current loop, centered at the origin, and tilted 90 degrees so that it enters at x=1 and exits at x=-1, carrying a unit amount of current, and completely disregarding the z axis.

is the strength of the magnetic field at any point in the xy plane proportional to 1/(distance from 1,0)^2 - 1/(distance from -1,0)^2

in other words does it have an inverse square relation to the current passing through those two points.

I know there are better ways to calculate the net field but I'm looking to understand what is happening here at an intuitive level.

I need the whole field. not just the far field or some sort of approximation.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
what I mean is:

can I find the contribution of each of the 2 currents separately by simply finding the vector which is at a right angle to the vector from that point to the current and making its magnitude equal to 1/(distance to the current)^2

and is adding those 2 vectors all that i need to do to calculate the total field

If it is a closed loop, B does not go like 1/r^2.

ok. so evidently thet won't work.

thinking 3 dimensionally, if we look at only one of the 2 currents (due to current along line element dL) then we can see from the symmetry that its field is confined to a wedge extending from the origin through the endpoints of that line element.

I have no idea how to go about calculating the resulting field. I've never seen or done anything like it.

To find the magnetic field of a finite loop, you will need to use elliptic functions. It's complicated.

However, it can be proven in general that

[tex]\vec B(\vec r) \propto \nabla \Omega(\vec r)[/tex]

where [itex]\Omega(\vec r)[/itex] is the (oriented) solid angle subtended by the current loop at the observation point.

any connection to the scalar potential of a magnetic field?

granpa said:
any connection to the scalar potential of a magnetic field?
Yes, Omega is the magnetic scalar potential, which happens to equal the solid angle subtended by a current loop of any shape.
For a circular current loop, the MSP can be found be either an elliptic integral, or by a Legendre polynomial, partial wave expansion.

so the msp isn't so much discontinuous as multi-valued (like an angle)?

Last edited:
It's multivalued, or discontinuous if you make a branch cut.

However, in free space (in the absence of any currents), it is single-valued, as in this case (there is no J at the observation point).

What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region in space where a magnetic force can be observed. It is created by moving electric charges and can interact with other magnetic fields and magnetic materials.

How is a magnetic field created?

A magnetic field is created by moving electric charges, such as electrons, protons, or ions. This can occur naturally in the Earth's core or through the use of magnets and electric currents.

What is a simple current loop?

A simple current loop is a circuit consisting of a single loop of wire with a current flowing through it. It can be a circular or rectangular loop and is often used in experiments to study the effects of magnetic fields.

How does a magnetic field affect a simple current loop?

A magnetic field can exert a force on a simple current loop, causing it to rotate or move. This is due to the interaction between the magnetic field and the electric current in the loop, as described by the Lorentz force law.

What are some practical applications of understanding magnetic fields and simple current loops?

Understanding magnetic fields and simple current loops is crucial in many fields, including electricity and magnetism, electronics, and engineering. It is used in the design of electric motors, generators, and other devices, as well as in medical imaging technology like MRI machines.