Faraday's law and complex number

In summary: I'm not sure what dl/dt means in this context. In summary, dl/dt means the vector field's rate of change along the path of the integral.
spidey
Faraday's law is ∫ E dl = - ∂Ф/∂t
if we take sqaure root on both sides,

√∫ E dl = √- ∂Ф/∂t
√∫ E dl = i √ ∂Ф/∂t

Now the r.h.s has "i" in it. Does this mean anything? Having "i" in a equation means anything?
I have seen "i" in schrodinger equation and dirac equation. As like those equations, does the above equation also has any meaning?

Physics news on Phys.org
We don't really have an i, because one of the following will be true:

∫ E dl is negative, so √∫ E dl also gets a factor of i. Divide both sides of the equation by i, and there will be no more i's.

or

∂Ф/∂t is negative, in which case -∂Ф/∂t is positive, and
√ -∂Ф/∂t = √ (a positive value) → no factor of i

or

∫ E dl and ∂Ф/∂t are both zero → no factor of i

Of course, you could save a lot of trouble by not taking the square root in the first place!

Redbelly98 said:

∫ E dl is negative, so √∫ E dl also gets a factor of i. Divide both sides of the equation by i, and there will be no more i's.

1) Under what conditions would ∫ E dl be "negative"?

2) Under what conditions would ∫ E dl be "positive"?

3) What is the sign of dl/dt in both cases?

Regards,

Bill

Bill,

Are you familiar with induced emf's and Lenz' Law? That's the type of situation where ∫ E dl is nonzero.

Mark

Redbelly98 said:
Are you familiar with induced emf's and Lenz' Law? That's the type of situation where ∫ E dl is nonzero.

Hi Mark,

If E is propagating, dl/dt is not zero. The questions have to do with what your sign convention is.

Regards,

Bill

Redbelly98 said:

or

∂Ф/∂t is negative, in which case -∂Ф/∂t is positive, and
√ -∂Ф/∂t = √ (a positive value) → no factor of i

or

∫ E dl and ∂Ф/∂t are both zero → no factor of i

Of course, you could save a lot of trouble by not taking the square root in the first place!

supposing for this case ∫ E dl and ∂Ф/∂t are both positive, then -∂Ф/∂t is negative and so it will have an i. Under this condition, does this have any meaning?

My basic question is, not only for this equation, for any equation in physics,if it has an "i",then what it tells us?

spidey said:
supposing for this case ∫ E dl and ∂Ф/∂t are both positive, then -∂Ф/∂t is negative and so it will have an i. Under this condition, does this have any meaning?

I would assume that dl/dt is negative in that case. I think that is the standard physics/optics convention.

Regards,

Bill

spidey said:
supposing for this case ∫ E dl and ∂Ф/∂t are both positive ...

They can't both be positive! Because

∫ E dl = -∂Ф/∂t

so if one is positive, the other must be negative.

Redbelly98 said:
if one is positive, the other must be negative.

Not true if dl/dt is positive. Care to show otherwise?

Regards,

Bill

Since dl is a vector (a length element with a direction), how does it even make sense to talk about dl/dt being positive?

But the problem with the OP's question is: given any equation in physics with a "-" sign on one side of the equation. Take the square root of both sides of the equation, and now you have a mysterious factor of "i", and he is trying to find meaning in that. For example, F=-kx for a spring.

Redbelly98 said:
Since dl is a vector (a length element with a direction), how does it even make sense to talk about dl/dt being positive?

Because the notion of "propagation" has a direction too.

Regards,

Bill

Bill,

I'm having trouble following your argument, beginning with this statement:

Antenna Guy said:
Hi Mark,

If E is propagating, dl/dt is not zero.

I am not even sure what dl/dt means at this point. I thought you were describing a situation where the closed path of the integral is moving and changing shape.

If so, I think this unnecessarily complicates the OP's question because dl/dt does not appear in the equation in question,

[tex]
\int \vec{E} \cdot d\vec{l} = - \ \frac{d\Phi_B}{dt}
[/tex]

Anyway, could you clarify what dl/dt is for me? Let's make sure we're talking about the same thing.

the minus sign is only to get the directions right, it's not that important, even less important when you take the square root of it =o
it's usualy more convenient to use avsolute values in such equations, and find the direction later.

about your question, I know that in RCL circuits' equations "imaginary" solutions are taken in cosideration aswell, imaginary currents, imaginary resistance, and stuff like that.
I think what it means is that these solutions (currents, resistances) are sinusoidal , but I'm not sure what's the physical meaning of these "imaginary values" if there is one at all, or maybe at the end only the real part of the value is taken, I'm not sure.

spidey said:
Redbelly answered this question already when he told you
Redbelly98 said:
They can't both be positive! Because

∫ E dl = -∂Ф/∂t

so if one is positive, the other must be negative.

spidey said:
My basic question is, not only for this equation, for any equation in physics,if it has an "i",then what it tells us?
In many 2 dimensional problems, real and imaginary parts are used to indicate direction. For instance, in exp(i*phi)=cos(phi)+i*sin(phi), you can plot real and imag parts on the x and y axes, respectively. This is used to solve problems in potential theory (through conformal mapping, for instance). Elsewhere, real and imaginary indicate in-phase and quadrature components of a signal or a field. There are many other examples, some of them more subtle.

In other cases, real and imag parts indicate allowed and non-allowed modes. A light wave hitting a polished metal surface will reflect. The incident and reflected waves have real propagation constants; the evanescent wave that penetrates a nearly infinitesimal distance into the metal cannot propagate and is described by an imaginary propagation constant.

ibc mentions correctly that i is sometimes used as a bookkeeping tool and that the real part of an expression is taken at the end to find the physically significant quantity.

In short, i definitely has physical meaning in many cases.
Antenna Guy said:
Not true if dl/dt is positive. Care to show otherwise?

Regards,

Bill

Antenna Guy said:
Because the notion of "propagation" has a direction too.

Regards,

Bill
??
You might profit from review of your E&M texts. First of all, see Redbelly's responses. Second, there's no propagation here--Faraday's law deals with the line integral of the field around a fixed path L that may be physical (a wire) or virtual.

spidey said:

As indicated by marcusl, complex numbers give directions in planes. When you have a factor "i" in a differential equation for a vector or vector derived function, it means that the vector differential is at an angle 90° to the vector itself. I've tried to make that clear in my video clip on the "www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmEMVJYbTu8"[/URL]. Excerpt: "There is the operation where the arrow is rotated by an angle alpha. We multiply ket |A> by a so called complex number to describe this rotation: exp(i alpha). So when you see a complex number in quantum-mechanical expressions, it is real physics. It simply means that ket |A> has undergone a rotation in its spinning surface."

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is Faraday's law and how does it relate to electricity and magnetism?

Faraday's law is a fundamental principle in electromagnetism that describes the relationship between a changing magnetic field and an induced electric field. It states that when a conductor moves through a magnetic field or when the magnetic field changes, a voltage is induced in the conductor. This phenomenon is the basis for many electrical devices, such as generators and transformers.

2. What is the mathematical representation of Faraday's law?

Faraday's law can be mathematically represented as the integral of the electric field around a closed path equals the negative of the time rate of change of the magnetic flux through the surface bounded by that path. This can be written as ∮E⃗ · dℓ = -dΦB/dt, where E is the electric field, dℓ is an infinitesimal element of the path, ΦB is the magnetic flux, and dt is the change in time.

3. How do complex numbers come into play with Faraday's law?

Complex numbers are used to represent the phase and magnitude of the induced voltage in Faraday's law. The induced electric field is a complex quantity, with a real component representing the actual electric field and an imaginary component representing the phase shift between the electric and magnetic fields. This allows for a more accurate representation of the behavior of electromagnetic waves.

4. Can Faraday's law be applied to non-uniform magnetic fields?

Yes, Faraday's law can be applied to non-uniform magnetic fields. In this case, the magnetic flux through a surface can be calculated by taking the integral of the magnetic field over the surface. This allows for the calculation of the induced electric field in non-uniform magnetic fields.

5. What are some practical applications of Faraday's law and complex numbers?

Faraday's law and complex numbers have many practical applications, including in the design of electrical motors, generators, and transformers. They are also used in the study of electromagnetic waves and in the development of communication technologies, such as radio and television. Additionally, complex numbers are used in circuit analysis and in the understanding of resonance phenomena.