Avionics: Learn About Airplane Engines & Flight Dynamics

• Thread starter SweatyFunSeek
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fields
In summary, the conversation revolves around a person seeking recommendations for a good school that can teach them about airplane engines and flight dynamics, specifically from a mechanic's point of view. One respondent suggests on-the-job training, while another recommends pursuing an airframe and powerplant certification course. It is also mentioned that the term "avionics" may not accurately describe the topic at hand and a mentor may be able to retitle the conversation to attract more relevant responses.
SweatyFunSeek
Anyone know a good field that let's me learn more about the engines of an airplane and the dynamics of flight. If you can tell me of a good school that can teach me this, it would be really helpful.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Are you looking from a designer's point of view or a mechanic's point of view? There are a lot of aeronautical schools out there. I am of the opinion that nothing in this area beats on the job training though.

I am looking more of the mechanics point of view

Welcome to PF, SFS.
Fred's your best source for this. I merely want to point out that the title of your thread might be a bit misleading to other possible respondents. The term 'avionics' generally refers to the electronics associated with aircraft, specifically instrumentation, rather than flight dynamics and mechanics. You might want to ask a Mentor to retitle this as 'Fields of Aeronautics'. It might increase your readership in the proper context.

I would suggest that any school that teaches airframe and powerplant cetification courses (A&P). They give good general working knowledge of those areas. The big question is where do you live and what is near you. If you were willing to travel, colleges like Embry Riddle would be a good fit.

1. What is avionics?

Avionics refers to the electronic systems and devices used in aircraft, including navigation, communication, and flight control systems. It also includes the software and computers that control these systems.

2. How do airplane engines work?

Airplane engines work by drawing in air, compressing it, then mixing it with fuel and igniting it to create a controlled explosion. This explosion generates thrust, which propels the aircraft forward.

3. What are the different types of airplane engines?

The most common types of airplane engines are turbojet, turboprop, turbofan, and turboshaft engines. Each type has its own unique design and purpose, but all work on the same basic principles of compressing and igniting fuel to generate thrust.

4. How do flight dynamics affect an aircraft's performance?

Flight dynamics refer to the forces and movements that act on an aircraft during flight. These include lift, drag, thrust, and weight. Understanding flight dynamics is crucial for pilots to control and maneuver the aircraft safely and efficiently.

5. What is the role of avionics in flight safety?

Avionics plays a critical role in flight safety by providing pilots with vital information about the aircraft's performance, position, and surroundings. Avionics systems also help with navigation and communication, allowing pilots to make informed decisions and respond to any potential hazards during flight.