Energy Stored in Elastic Bodies

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a 2-kg block falling onto a spring and compressing it a certain distance. The conversation includes questions about the gravitational potential energy of the block before it is dropped, the speed of the block at the moment of contact, and the spring's spring constant. Through the use of equations and calculations, the solution is found to be 21.6 J, with the block falling a total distance of 1.1 meters.
DMOC

Homework Statement

A 2-kg block falls from rest a vertical distance of 0.75 meters above the top of a spring. The block lands on top of the spring compressing it 0.35 meters from its equlibrium position.

a) What is the gravitational potential energy of the 2-kg mass just before it is dropped above the spring?

b) Determine the speed of the mass at the instant the mass makes contact with the uncompressed spring.

c) Using the conservation of energy, calculate the spring's spring constant.

d) If you could place a 1-kg mass on the same spring and could push down compressing the spring 0.50 meters from its equlibrium position, how high would a 1-kg mass be fired vertically if you released the compressed spring?

Homework Equations

PE (Gravitational) = m*g*h
PE (Spring) = (1/2)*(spring constant)*(distance compressed)
KE = (1/2)(m)(v^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I first tried to start part a by using my first equation.

I got:

PE = (2 kg)(9.81 m/s^2)(.75 m)
PE = 14.715 J

Now my instructor told me that the answer to this part was 21.6 J so I already got something wrong here.

Anyway, for part b:

I figured that the gravitational potential energy of the block before it was dropped (the answer to part a) was equal to the kinetic energy at the instant the mass makes contact with the uncompressed spring. Thus, PE (g) = KE.

14.715 J = (1/2)(2 kg)v^2
v=3.8 m/s.

My instructor said that the answer was 4.65 m/s. If I had used 21.6 J as the total KE, then I got that correct answer. So, therefore, my mistake must be somewhere in part a.

(I got parts c and d both correct but only when I utilized the 21.6 J that I was supposed to get in part a.)

Does anyone know how to get the 21.6 J for part a? Thanks. That's really the only issue in this problem.

Also, my instructor said that he did these answers by himself rather quickly, so there's a minor chance of a careless error he made. But I don't think that's the case.

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems that they are looking for the Total PE from the entire height the block falls including the compression of the spring.

Well I just plugged [tex]PE = (2 kg)(9.81 m/s^2)(x m)=21.6J[/tex] and found that your professor [tex]1.10m[/tex]. Maybe that can help you?

Saladsamurai said:
It seems that they are looking for the Total PE from the entire height the block falls including the compression of the spring.

Oh, including the compression..that would change my value from 0.75 to 1.1...

fluidistic said:
Well I just plugged [tex]PE = (2 kg)(9.81 m/s^2)(x m)=21.6J[/tex] and found that your professor [tex]1.10m[/tex]. Maybe that can help you?

Yeah, 1.1 would give out 21.6. But I'm not sure why to use 1.1 instead of 0.75 because the block is 0.75 m above the equlibrium point of the spring.

DMOC said:
Yeah, 1.1 would give out 21.6. But I'm not sure why to use 1.1 instead of 0.75 because the block is 0.75 m above the equlibrium point of the spring.

But the question does ask: "What is the gravitational potential energy of the 2-kg mass just before it is dropped above the spring with respect to the spring's equilibrium position"? does it?

1. What is meant by "energy stored in elastic bodies"?

Energy stored in elastic bodies refers to the potential energy that is stored within an object when it is stretched or compressed. This energy is stored in the form of elastic potential energy, which is the energy that is stored in an object due to its deformation.

2. How is the energy stored in elastic bodies calculated?

The energy stored in an elastic body can be calculated using the formula E = 1/2 kx^2, where E is the energy stored, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement of the object.

3. What types of materials exhibit elastic behavior?

Elastic behavior is exhibited by materials that can return to their original shape and size after being stretched or compressed. This includes materials such as rubber, steel, and other metals.

4. What factors affect the amount of energy stored in elastic bodies?

The amount of energy stored in an elastic body is affected by several factors, including the material's elasticity, the amount of deformation, and the stiffness of the material. It is also affected by the length and shape of the object.

5. What are some real-life applications of energy stored in elastic bodies?

The concept of energy stored in elastic bodies has numerous real-life applications, such as in the design of springs for various mechanical devices, such as mattresses, trampolines, and car suspensions. It is also used in sports equipment, such as tennis rackets, and in medical devices, such as prosthetics and braces.