Getting programming experience

In summary: This is a real advantage in situations where I need to modify or customize the program quickly--I don't have to write a new program from scratch. As Niels Bohr observed, the opposite of every great idea is also a great idea.In summary, a physics student facing unemployment is looking for ways to gain programming experience. He is thinking of contributing to an open source project.
psid
I'm a physics student facing unemployment for the coming summer. I made it to couple of interviews but it seems that didn't get the positions because of lack of actual real world programming experience even thought the positions were aimed for a physicist. Well, I thought that now that I have lots of free time next summer, maybe contributing to some open source project would be a good way to gain some programming experience.

Are there any open source projects especially suitable for a physics student? I know the basics of programming and the only way forward would be by getting involved in development of a larger application than I have come across during studies. I have no experience in developing GUI-based apps though so this is a limitation.

Physics news on Phys.org
Guis are just eye candy. The guts of the program has to work first. But I would recommend Qt as a cross platform framework for guis.

As far as getting experience, pick out a topic, review literature, write code. One suggestion Monte Carlo Simulations.

Well, you could always start your own open source competitor to the product you didn't get hired to write. :-)

nbo10 said:
Guis are just eye candy. The guts of the program has to work first.

As Niels Bohr observed, the opposite of every great idea is also a great idea. In the same vein, this point of view about guis is has value, but so does its opposite. Never underestimate the importance of a gui when it comes time to sell the software, or to get people excited about it. Well thought out HCI (human computer interaction) demonstrates respect for the people who will use your software.

Last edited:
"Guis are just eye candy."

That's why we all still use MS-DOS.

AUMathTutor said:
"Guis are just eye candy."

That's why we all still use MS-DOS.

You shouldn't confuse consumer products with scientific programming.

"You shouldn't confuse consumer products with scientific programming."

And you shouldn't underestimate the importance of user interfaces in *any* application.

Cantab Morgan said:
Well, you could always start your own open source competitor to the product you didn't get hired to write. :-)

Well the task would have been writing a software to analyze measured data. It seems it's difficult to find any open source projects for this kind of work, ie. scientific programming...

I usually don't even bother to write a text interface to my Python or Lisp programs--I leave them as a collection of functions which I can use from within the interpreter.

The first advantage of this is laziness. Secondly, it's actually more useful to use them this way than it would be to write a GUI or text interface, because I can compose functions on the fly.

Last edited:

1. What are the best ways to gain programming experience?

The best ways to gain programming experience include taking courses or attending workshops, participating in coding bootcamps, working on personal projects, contributing to open source projects, and completing internships or freelance work.

2. How much time should I dedicate to gaining programming experience?

The amount of time needed to gain programming experience varies depending on your goals and schedule. It is recommended to dedicate at least a few hours each week to practice and work on projects to gain proficiency.

3. Do I need to have a specific background or degree to gain programming experience?

No, anyone can gain programming experience regardless of their background or degree. However, having a strong foundation in math, logic, and problem-solving skills can be beneficial.

4. Can I gain programming experience on my own without attending a formal program or course?

Yes, it is possible to gain programming experience on your own by using online resources, books, and tutorials. However, working with others and receiving feedback can also be valuable in improving your skills.

5. How important is practical experience in programming compared to theoretical knowledge?

Both practical experience and theoretical knowledge are important in programming. Practical experience helps in applying theoretical knowledge to real-world problems and developing problem-solving skills, while theoretical knowledge provides a strong foundation for understanding programming concepts.